• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 10th Gen Max 2666MHz Ram Speed ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merlins Beard

Registered
Hello Guys,

i have a curious topic that i am not sure about. I am planning my DDR4 upgrade from DDR3 (Finally) but im stuck for choice between Intel and AMD, i usually go with AMD but i have been looking in to an Intel setup but i have noticed something i cant quite explain.

Why does the I5 10600K only support a max ram speed of 2666MHz ? is so that is soo subparr compared to the R5 3600X which supports 3200MHz+ and also has more cache.

Can someone please help me clear this up because i feel like i am missing something important.

It is slower than amd, at 3200, sure.. but to what end? 10th gen Intel has zero issue running 4000 mhz while amd struggles past 3600 (w/ 1:1 IF). Does what you do on your pc memory sensitive or are we just seeing bigger numbers assuming it is a big difference?

Same thing with cache... amd needs more to be as fast as it is because of how it is designed (multiple chiplets) versus intel that doesn't have a penalty per say for swapping to any core.

Hello again Earthdog ! how you doing man ? Hmmm okay, i just need some context to understand because i have never built with the Intel platform. Lets take this build here its a mock build i made one for AMD and made one for Intel obviously Intel works out like £200 more expensive as usual but here we go:

CPU: I5 10600K
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B460-G GAMING
16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO 2666MHz
500GB WB Black SN750

Now on all the specs for the I5 10600K it says max ram speed 2666MHz will it definitely not accept a higher ram speed like 3600MHz ?

Now on all the specs for the I5 10600K it says max ram speed 2666MHz will it definitely not accept a higher ram speed like 3600MHz ?
i5 10600K was run at 3200Mhz memory for the frontpage review . I am 100% sure it will run memory beyond 2666. It will likely give less issues compared to ryzen in terms of memory speed, compatibility and headaches.

Hello again Earthdog ! how you doing man ? Hmmm okay, i just need some context to understand because i have never built with the Intel platform. Lets take this build here its a mock build i made one for AMD and made one for Intel obviously Intel works out like £200 more expensive as usual but here we go:

CPU: I5 10600K
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B460-G GAMING
16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO 2666MHz
500GB WB Black SN750

as i said above already, 10th gen is good to 4000 mhz in most cases. 3600 won't be an issue. You're overclocking the imc. But intel has more headroom.

ahhh okay thank you bmwbaxter that helps, it was just confusing that the specs of the I5 10600K said max RAM spped 2666MHz but i was sure it would have been capable of handling more. Now i just need to decide on AMD or Intel lol !

What is the system used for? That will be the biggest determining factor for AMD or intel.

That bmwbaxter is a very important question... but mostly browsing, gaming, OCing

Neither platform has a ton of OC headroom anymore. Both platforms should easily do 3600Mhz ram, but Ryzen can sometimes be picky with certain kits, whereas Intel will run anything basically to its rated speed. AMD will likely win the performance/$. Both will make the GTX 1060 be your system bottleneck.
I would personally rather put my money in AMD's pocket since it is better performance/$ but Intel still have the gaming crown for now.

I kinda agree with you bmwbaxter, but i cant really justify the 33% price increase for intel plus AMD has been good to me since i joined the PC scene

I had no problems setting up to 4600 memory clock on all X570 motherboards that I tested (multiple ASUS, ASRock, and Gigabyte mobos). I had problems to set some memory kits above 4000 on Z490 as so far these motherboards have "early BIOS" issues.
The AMD memory controller provides a higher memory bandwidth but Intel has lower latency (if we compare memory kits at the same frequency and main timings). On the other hand, on AMD there is no point to pass ~3600 with IF 1:1 and on Intel, memory is scaling up to at least ~4500, above that performance gain is barely visible even in synthetic tests. It's still different architecture and can't compare it directly. In the case of AMD, a large and fast cache is covering any latency delays.

10600K should run with memory up to at least ~DDR4-4500 on popular Z490 motherboards. Even cheaper MSI or Gigabyte have DDR4-4800 on their QVL and some of them were already tested to be able to pass 5500 on LN2 cooling. Even though it's not for 24/7 use then it proves that motherboards, as long as BIOS is good, can make 5000 or more. That's with everything that has a daisy chain topology which was available only in top series in last generations and now most, even cheaper motherboards have it.

Back