• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Speed question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Hey all, Just wondering, but would i be able to run high speed rams for my computer? I want to get the Gskill Sniper 8GB but the prices for the higher speeds are lower than the one that my CPU can run at, like now on Newegg, Gskill Sniper 2133mhz is 2 dollars cheaper than the 1600mhz. I think the supported speeds are either 1333mhz or 1600mhz. Thanks in advance! :D

Your motherboard will just downclock the RAM to the board's max supported speed. You may get lucky and get to run it at 1333 or 1600 with really great timings.

Can that CPU even reach 1866 speeds? AMD CPUs of that gen, IIRC, could barely rock 1866... unless he is using the iGPU, then it doesnt matter anyway performance wise.

The 965 has that??? I didnt know..

Its an on-motherboard feature.

Like above, if you get something like 1866MHz RAM and your computer won't run it then it'll get downclocked to 1600MHz or something of the like.

Yes, both iGPU's (though for some reason I was thinking the 965 had one on die, it does not) will respond to faster ram.

Like above, if you get something like 1866MHz RAM and your computer won't run it then it'll get downclocked to 1600MHz or something of the like.

Ah,. I see, so to confirm this for me, I COULD go with something that is above 1600mhz, as long as its not too high, i could still run it since it'll just get downclocked?

Ah,. I see, so to confirm this for me, I COULD go with something that is above 1600mhz, as long as its not too high, i could still run it since it'll just get downclocked?

No reason to go over 1866 because of the cost increases, but yes anything over 1600 will clock down. 1600/1866 are the current sweet-spot for price/performance.

Ram out of the gate will be 1333 in most cases. You would need to set the timings, voltage, and speed manually to reach rated speeds above that. You could grab 2666 sticks and run them at 1600. But that is nothing short of a monumental waste of cash.

I see... The only thing i considered going high clock speeds because, like one of my post up there, Im looking into the Gskill Sniper and for some reason, the higher clock ones are a few dollars or more cheaper than the 1600Mhz ones.

Get a set of the cheapest DDR3 1600's with 9-9-9 timings or lower, if you want to pay for them, for that Cpu. It's doubtful you could run it with stability @ 1866 but you may be able to do a little bit over 1700.

Back