• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED RAM suggestion for new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daking0007

Hi everyone, I am looking for advice for a new build. I need advice on RAM selection for the motherboard I have.
I have a motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 and am looking for 32GB (2x16).
I have verified the QVL list for my motherboard and I am a little lost.
Anyone can help with advice? Suggestions?

There is no plan for overclocking but I might slap another identical RAM kit later.
I am located in Canada in case I get link suggestions.

Thanks!

Are you saying you cannot find ram that is listed on the QVL for your motherboard? Or that you are not sure how to find the sticks listed in the QVL. your board has different QVLs for different processors, what CPU are you using?

When you say you don't plan to overclock, do you intend to enable XMP for the memory to run at it's rated speed? For Zen2 aka Ryzen 3000 series CPUs 3600MHz is optimal performance while 3200MHz is a little behind, but not enough to notice in real world tasks. Those numbers are for memory speed, not CPU speed to clarify. Zen2 is better with memory so honestly I would look for a kit rated at either 3200 or 3600MHz depending on budget, but looking at the QVL is never a bad plan.

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking for.

My CPU is Ryzen 6 3600 (Matisse).
I am seeking best option for this board and CPU. I can pick any 3200 or 3200 dual channel in the list, as long as it's Ryzen approved. But If anyone has played with this MB or CPU before, I'd like to get opinion or advice on which memory work best. I do plan on enabling XMP but nothing more. For sure RGB is interesting, but it is not something I need in my setup.
The reason I went with this CPU was for price and to stay in the 65W range. My PSU has silent mode and can be turned off under a certain wattage.
I am only missing RAM to complete the setup.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Sorry I meant Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse)

If you plan on adding another 32gb later on, I would limit the frequency of the RAM to 3200 mhz in order to reduce the strain on the IMC and the SOC VRM.

Ryzen 3000 handles 32GB modules without issues up to 4000+, so I wouldn't worry about problems with IMC at high memory capacity. The bigger problem will be with a matching kit in some months as there are many IC on the market and manufacturers are using various IC in the same, kits, also under the same product numbers. Sometimes it's easy to tell what is under the heatsink, sometimes we can count on 3-4 different IC.

Optimal for new Ryzens is memory at 3600. It doesn't really matter what timings but better are lower. You can grab something like G.Skill Neo 3600 16-19-19 which should be at a reasonable price and available in most stores. From other brands, anything from Crucial/Ballistix is good but depends on the store prices are sometimes high. I would avoid Corsair RAM because of random problems with some motherboards. If you still wish something from their offer and is on the QVL then check Vengeance Pro 3600. CL18 kits should be quite cheap.
There are also new HyperX kits but the same as with Crucial, in the US they're sometimes expensive, in the EU usually, prices are low compared to other brands. I'm not browsing stores in Canada so I'm not sure how it looks like in general.

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-...0&cm_re=32GB_DDR4-3600-_-20-232-861-_-Product
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-...0&cm_re=32GB_DDR4-3600-_-20-232-907-_-Product

CL18 isn't so much cheaper than the 16-19-19
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-...0&cm_re=32GB_DDR4-3600-_-20-232-867-_-Product

Note Woomack's response in post #5: "I would avoid Corsair RAM because of random problems with some motherboards."

Back