• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Any idea of what timings I need to make 4 x 4GB 2GHZ modules work at 2GHZ?

MB= GA990FXA-UD5
memory= Viper Xtreme 4GB 2000MHZ (2GHZ) 9-11-9-27 1.65V
CPU FX-8150 3400MHZ (3.4GHZ) ooops, old man brain fart :) it's 3.6GHZ

I can get this to work at 1600MHZ (1.6GHZ) but that is not what I want :)

Last edited:
The ram should work at the timings you have listed. The manufacturer should have gotten the ram to work at those timings before it was shipped. That being said, getting ram to operate at that speed is still not easy. Your board has to be able to handle it and I am not sure if you have any other OCs present.

If your QPI is overclocked you may struggle to operate the ram at a higher speed.

Any idea of what timings I need to make 4 x 4GB 2GHZ modules work at 2GHZ?

MB= GA990FXA-UD5
memory= Viper Xtreme 4GB 2000MHZ (2GHZ) 9-11-9-27 1.65V
CPU FX-8150 3400MHZ (3.4GHZ)

I can get this to work at 1600MHZ (1.6GHZ) but that is not what I want :)

XMP profile should include all timings for 2000. Only thing that you may need to change is CPU-NB +0.05-0.10V.
Other way set everything on auto, RAM speed to 2000, memory voltage to 1.65V, CPU-NB +0.1V and main timings to 9-11-9-27 -> Command Rate 2T/N <-, all other timings on auto.

Old man brain fart alert :)
CPU speed 3.6GHZ and I have used auto and it defaults to 1033MHZ :bang head
I'll try auto and set the timings after I save current setings :)

just tryed auto and set mem speed to 1866 and BSOD and reboot with timings of 9-11-9-27, thing is, I can run mem at 2005MHZ with only 2 ram sticks no problem, put 4 in and I can only get it to run at 1600MHZ.
I guess if I want 16GB, I'll need to get 2x8GB sticks.

The ram is ok, the problem is the MB in the way it handles 4 modules vs 2. Same thing happened to a older system the uses DDR 400MHZ modules, 4X1GB DDR 400MHZ and the MB forces them to run at 333MHZ.
There has to be a way to run 4 modules at 2GHZ (2000MHZ) on this 990FX MB.

The ram should work at the timings you have listed. The manufacturer should have gotten the ram to work at those timings before it was shipped. That being said, getting ram to operate at that speed is still not easy. Your board has to be able to handle it and I am not sure if you have any other OCs present.

If your QPI is overclocked you may struggle to operate the ram at a higher speed.

If I'm right then your kit is designed for XMP 1.3 and it means that you have to set some things manually as your board supports XMP 1.2. Start from memory clock to 2000 and vdimm 1.65V. Add +0.10-0.15V CPU-NB for memory controller stability.
If it's not running with 4 sticks then add CPU-NB voltage and should be fine.
One more thing. Set Command Rate to 2T ( or 2N don't remember how it was called in this bios ). Board will probably read it as 1T/1N from auto profile.
I had no problems to run 16GB/4 sticks on this board just not with auto/XMP profiles.

Back