• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random restarts/lockups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

My computer specs are as follows:
AMD xp 1800, Epox EP-8K3AE motherboard, Radeon 9500, 650mb RAM, sound blaster live 5.1 (actually not installed atm), windows xp professional.

The problem:
Seemingly random lockups and restarts. Mostly occurs if I'm doing several tasks at once, ie, playing music, surfing the internet, and playing a game. However, its not all the time, just when it feels like it. If im just casually surfing the net, no problems. Every time I start ad-aware or the like, I have a restart. Sometimes when I use my anti-virus i have a restart. When Im playing my game if I switch it from windowed to full-screen or visa versa I'll have a lockup or restart most of the time. During a loading screen on a game I'll have a lockup or restart about 70% of the time. I know its not the video card, it works flawlessly in other computers. Its not the sound card, it works flawlessly in other computers as well (not to mention its not installed right now). Is it the motherboard? Maybe overheating issues? It runs at about 60 degrees celsius at boot, isn't that a bit warm? Maybe the power supply can't handle it (300w)? Its very frustrating and I dont know what it is. Its not a virus or anything either because I just formatted the damn thing and it still happens. Any ideas?

If you haven't already check your CPU Heatsink fan and make sure it is running right. 60C is very high. I have an XP1700 running at full load at only 42C. May be all clogged up with dirt and dust or may be loose. Start there and make sure all other fans in your system including your PSU fan is spinning freely. Temps that high at bootup are probably getting worse when you run other programs.

if it happens after a while of the computer being on, i would suspect the power supply...

300w max rated?? or 300w total?? and is it generic?

Okay quick update. I cleaned out the HSF and cleaned off the contact surface and re-seated it with some new thermal paste. It cut about 2 degrees off but 58 degrees idle is still pretty damn high. The power supply I am using is a 350w generic cheap-o power supply. I dont know how to tell if thats "rated" or "total" power. I checked the fan on it and its spinning well. Maybe I need to upgrade my heat sink?

You are right...58 is still very high at idle for that processor. Is your psu fan the only other fan in the case? Even a poorly running fan shouldn't push you up that high at idle. Get the program speedfan or everest and check to see what voltages are being put out from your power supply. Also check to see that your vcore voltage is set to the proper setting in your bios. Are you overclocking this system or are you at stock settings?

Is this the stock cooler that came with the chip?

Running and stock voltages, infact, I UNDERclocked it to 1200 Mhz just so see. Im running at 58 degrees...still not a lot of improvement but it allows me to surf without locking up. That alone makes me almost sure its the heat. The heat sink isn't the stock one, its a swiftech that came out the same time the 1.33 t-bird was out, and thats the one im using. I wonder if the fan isn't working as well, I ordered a new heat sink and fan assembly and am going to try that out. I took your advice and used Speedfan to check my voltages. Honestly, I dont know if they are good or bad so here they are as follows:

vcore=1.62, 3.3v=1.54, 5v=4.89, 12v=11.86, -12v=1.87, -5v=.38, +5vsb=5.51, VBAT=3.12

so anyway, if I can't find a solution soon, I'll probably just order a new hsf, its about time anyway. Thanks for all of your constructive input thus far.

it could just be that your sensors are off. for the case of voltages, perhaps you could get hold of a multimeter and get an accurate reading?

I second that opinion...you need a multimeter to verify those voltages. Your 5v and 12v rails are low. They should be at or slightly above 5 or 12. Sensors are a good place to start but the meter will let you know for sure.

I picked up one of those spiffy swiftech mcx-462 heatsinks and a vantec tornado (yeah, probably a little overkill) and my temps are down to 35 celsius idle. I'll post after a few hours if this solves the mystery of the restarting computer. Tune in next episode, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

Well, much to my chagrin, the beefed up cooling gear did not solve my problems. I'm not too upset because being in the high 50s was not good for my computer so I needed to upgrade anyway. Since my voltages were low and it is an old generic PSU, I am gonna go ahead and order a new one. Sucks I have to sink all this money into stupid stuff instead of things like a new video card or what have you, but oh well. Thanks for all of your input!

Did you try running memtest to see if it were your ram that was causing the problems........Lockups/Random Reboots is generally caused by ram. :)

Back