• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rank from Best to Worst deal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

Can you guys do me a favour and rank the following in order of thes best deal? My uses include programming and just general work excluding games. I'm not a gamer. I plan to bring my laptop with me around University, but I don't mind if it's heavy/big. All these laptops are on sale, and the sale ends pretty soon, so hopefully, I'll get some quick opinions. If possible, could you give a few words on why you chose your particular ranking? All prices are Canadian, so divide by 1.31 to get the US equivalent. All prices are local, so no shipping required. I was looking to spend UNDER $1500 Canadian, so only the first laptop falls into my budget. However, I'm willing to make an exception if a deal is just too juicy to give up. It all depends on what you guys think.

Notebook #1
The Compaq Presario R3210CA Notebook PC is ready to impress at home, at school, or on the go. Powered by the Mobile AMD™ Athlon™ XP-M processor, 256MB DDR SDRAM memory and offering the freedom and flexibility of 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN, this stylish notebook is sure to impress with performance, quality, and mobility.

Features:
Mobile AMD™ Athlon™ XP-M processor 2800+ with PowerNow!™ technology and 256KB L2 cache
256MB DDR SDRAM (1x 256MB) at 333MHz, expandable to 1280MB DDR (1 x256MB, 1 x 1024MB)
40GB 4200RPM hard drive
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 4 420 Go with 32MB DDR RAM (dedicated)
24x DVD/CD-RW Combo drive
15" XGA TFT (1024 x 768) display
Integrated v.90/v.92 56KB modem (RJ-11)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45)
54g™ Integrated 802.11b/g WLAN
External Ports: 3 USB 2.0, 1 Parallel, 1 headphone out, 1 microphone in, 1 VGA, 1 TV-Out (S-Video), 1 RJ-11, 1 RJ-45, 1 PCMCIA Card slot
Windows XP Home
Symantec™ Norton Antivirus™ with 60 day complimentary Live Update; Adobe Acrobat Reader; Restore CDs; Windows Media Player and Movie Maker; RecordNow; InterVideo WinDVD; Apple iTunes; Adobe Photoshop Album STE; Microsoft Works; Microsoft Money; Microsoft Office 2003 TRIAL (Student/Teacher Edition)
Dimensions: 11.18"L x 14.25"W x 1.8"H
Weight: 7.8lbs.
1-year Limited Hardware Warranty.

Notebook #2
The HP Pavilion ZV5210 Celeron 2.8GHz Notebook is great as a replacement for a desktop computer and is ideal for both the home/home office and the student. The ZV5210 features a 15" WXGA TFT display, 512MB DDR SDRAM, a 40GB hard drive and a CD-RW/DVD combo drive to make your own CDs and watch DVD movies. More Info

WebID: 10046402
Mfr. Part Number: PF130UA#ABL
Audio Type 16-Bit Stereo Sound
Average Battery Life 2 Hours
Battery Type Lithium-Ion
Cache 512KB
CPU Speed 2.8GHz
CPU Type Intel Celeron
Fax/Modem 56K V.90 Modem
Hard Drive 40GB 4200RPM
I/O Ports 3 x USB, 1 x IEEE 1394; See Below
Included In Box Battery, Charger, Manual
Network Card 10/100, 802.11b/g High-Speed Wireless
Optical Drives CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Other Software MS Money, MS Works; See Below
PC Card Slots 1 Type II or 1 Type III
Pointing Device Touchpad
Preloaded Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Product Dimensions 36.2(W) x 4.6(H) x 29.4(D) cm
Product Weight 3.6 kg
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 512MB DDR SDRAM
Removable Storage No
Screen Size 15.0"
Screen Type XGA TFT
Speakers Built-In Harman/Kardon Speakers
System Bus Info Not Available
Video Type 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour

Notebook #3
The Cicero F-120C-E1 Mobile Centrino 1.5GHz Notebook includes 1024MB of SDRAM, DVD+R/RW Combo drive, 80Gb Hard disk drive, integrated 10/100 NIC and wireless 802.11b/g networking. The 12.1" WSXGA High-Definition BrightView display and 128MB Nvidea GeForce FX Go5700 Graphics processor will meet all your viewing and graphics needs. More Info

WebID: 10046704
Mfr. Part Number: F-120C-E1
Audio Type Integrated Stereo Sound
Average Battery Life 3 Hours
Battery Type Lithium-Ion
Cache L2 1MB
CPU Speed 1.5GHz
CPU Type Mobile Centrino
Fax/Modem 56K V.92 Modem
Hard Drive 30GB 4200RPM
I/O Ports 2 x USB 2.0, 1x VGA; See Below
Included In Box Manual, Software, Battery
Network Card 10/100 , 802.11g High-Speed Wireless
Optical Drives 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Other Software Microsoft Works 7.0
PC Card Slots 1 x Type II
Pointing Device Touchpad
Preloaded Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home
Product Dimensions 19.5(W) x 2.6(H) x 23.5(D) cm
Product Weight 2.0 kg
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 256MB PC2100
Removable Storage No
Screen Size 12.1"
Screen Type WSXGA High-Definition BrightView
Speakers Integrated
System Bus 400 MHz
Video Type Info Not Available
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour

Notebook #4
Hewlett Packard Pavilion ZV5030CA Notebook
Features:
2.66GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor
512MB DDR SDRAM
40 GB hard drive
15.4" TFT display
DVD/CD-RW combo optical drive
56K V.92 modem, 10/100 LAN NIC, 802.11b/b Wireless connectivity
ATI Mobility Radeon 128MB video memory (shared)
Windows XP Home!
1-year Parts and Labour Warranty.

Last edited:
Numba 1: Notebook 3 is the best because it has 1gb of RAM, WSXGA, and the centrino!...and an 80gb, probably the lightest of them all...but I'm a big boy and can carry 2-3 lbs more so i wouldn't let that be a factor*shrug* stellar deal overall
Numba 2: Notebook 1 is a great performer, but I would throw in a stick of RAM to make it 512
Numba 3: Notebook 2, 100 less, only a celly, but it's better on battery life...and 100 less
Numba 4: Notebook 4, simply not even close to notebook 3...less RAM, proc isn't faster, and eats up a lot of battery.

That's my best to worst :)
Only drawback to notebook 3 is the smaller screen...which unless this is your puter for everything (i.e. you don't have a desktop) then it might be a turn off

Notebook #3 is still a pretty good deal considering the size. It's very difficult to get a notebook that small with anything other than integrated video, and even if you do, you'll end up paying a lot of $$ for it. My only qualm is that it's made by Cicero, but considering that they do nothing but rebrand other manufacturer's products, I don't think it's a major issue.

I would choose either notebook #1 or #3. Notebook #2 I don't like due to it having a Celeron processor and as notebook #4 has a P4, it may have heat problems in the long run. Furthermore, as ajrettke mentioned, #4 will also eat up the battery quickly.

Aslan said:
Notebook #3 is still a pretty good deal considering the size. It's very difficult to get a notebook that small with anything other than integrated video, and even if you do, you'll end up paying a lot of $$ for it. My only qualm is that it's made by Cicero, but considering that they do nothing but rebrand other manufacturer's products, I don't think it's a major issue.

I would choose either notebook #1 or #3. Notebook #2 I don't like due to it having a Celeron processor and as notebook #4 has a P4, it may have heat problems in the long run. Furthermore, as ajrettke mentioned, #4 will also eat up the battery quickly.

Same comments I've been getting by others.

So between #1 and #3, what do yall think? I'll have to pay an extra $230 bucks for #3 over #1. And with that money, I can get a wad of ram (a stick of 512 MB Crucial is less than $200 I think).

Last edited:
Back