• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Rant]Sick of Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I just want to talk, most people on here are willing to listen.

I'm not sick of all games, i'm sick of MMO's mostly. I won't sit here and bash any of them... to hard but i have been between 3 or 4 MMO's undecided which one to stick with for the last 4 years, let me expand on that.

Let's start with Final Fantasy XI, originally i enjoyed it to bits and pieces i spent sleepless nights on it leveling and just playing for fun, but as time went on people began to fizzle out the players who didn't spend 24/7 on it, which i didn't by that point since i work 8-5 M-F. I got little to nothing done and now i get even less done with a Baby, and awife that expects me to read her mind, you ladies out there know what i'm talking about.

After quitting that i looked around for a game that has more Solo focus, i came up with Aion, Level 1-30 was pretty fun, 31-50 was not, My first MMORPG was Final Fantasy XI and it had no PvP elements to it so i wasn't particularly used to fighting other people, at first i felt bad for attacking them, i was passive if they hit me i hit back but generally whoever gets the first hit has the upper hand, something i learned later on, in most cases it didn't matter since i was either outnumbered, or outgeared. There again the person who spent a ton of time on the game can flick me out of their way. Beyond that i should of quit long ago when i heard people complaining about how bad the PvP balance was. Sadly this is one game my wife thoroughly enjoys, she hasn't had to face PvP yet, she is still in her 30's so it hasn't slapped her in the face.

I'm not completely opposed to PvP games though, the stupidest looking game at first glance, Cosmic Break, has an arena type thing where really you are based on skill rather than how much time you spent in the game. Besides if you die, it's not like you really loose anything, it works a lot like a FPS.
-But ont he other hand, i'm tired of FPS games, the market is saturated with them and they get pretty bland fairly quickly for me, no offense to those who do enjoy them but i have my own high caliber rifles right beside me and it just doesn't compare to being out in the field or range sending rounds down.

-It's also not just MMO's-
I recently bought Final Fantasy XIII, i had it once before and beat the story but didn't get the platinum trophy, lost my game save since i did a HDD->SDD Swap and didn't feel it was needed anymore, but i was going through it again and it just didn't feel fun or satisfying to play, it felt more like a waste of time.

I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia a while back, i aimed to finish it, poped it in and within 15 minutes i was wishing i could turn it off, i used to really enjoy it.

So i logged into Steam and jumped on Skyrim, been about a month since i last played it, still haven't beat the story since i focused on all my crafts to 100, which i did. Yet again within 15-20 minutes i felt like i just didn't want to play, i had no goals, wasn't interested in making any and felt literally overwhelmed.

I know it isn't attention span because i can sit down and watch My Little Pony all the way through every Saturday with my wife and kid, the daily show, misc other shows 30mins to an hour each back to back no problem.

I'm even playing a game on a private server that isn't even released and won't be for NA for atleast another year+ (mostly to get a leg up) and that i can play for an hour at a time, beyond that though and i start to get that stale feeling.

I'm feeling literally confused that i cannot find a game that i want to sit down and play for hours on end anymore. The progression feeling a general RPG gives isn't something i 'feel' anymore. The desire to uncover content in a game is no longer anything i thrive for. When i sit down to play any game i sincerely get a sick feeling like i'm wasting my time... This is something thats been going on for the last 4-5 years.

Am i?... Getting old? :bang head

EDIT: I want to expand to another topical setting that makes me cringe.
All you WoW players need to just hear me out before you blab.

When i jump on a forum and start discussing a game, like Tera, FFXIV or even some free to play game, people respond with words like "toon" "troll" or "Raid" 10 years ago these terms were not used in my gaming world, admittedly we all come from different backgrounds but every time i see those terms i immediately label you a WoW Player like it's a bad thing, because ultimatly complainers from WoW ruined what used to be a challenging MMO: FFXI.

Now before you go rampant, i have met 2 WoW players from Aion that used the terms but i did find them to be very nice guys, so i do understand there are goods in the "bads" (another term from wow) It's the complainers about how hard a game is or the people who just can't be opened minded to an art style other than dwarfs and men that look like wrestlers.

It's these same complainers that didn't want to accept Tera's Elin race for the Loli-girls they were meant to be, just because American culture is different most western audiences think everybody else should bend to their ways, SOPA = proof. I am an American but i also grew up in a racist, one track minded family that put anything down that wasn't "manly", this has made me open minded more so than i normally would have been since i do like the anime style arts.

So end-all, the community of 99% of the games iv'e taken an interest in has destroyed that interest within a short few days, alot of people on the internet now days go nuts on forums attacking people just to make them react.

Last edited:
Dude! Don't play MMOs spend time with your wife and kids instead!! I also don't get as immersed in games (single player specifically) as I once did.

Dude! Don't play MMOs spend time with your wife and kids instead!! I also don't get as immersed in games (single player specifically) as I once did.

I'm opening up to this advice quickly. Don't get me wrong i spend time with them frequently, there are moments where i want to sit down and just time sink into something. You know how it is.

I think the major problem is i -want- to be immersed and enjoy games like i used too, but i just can't. I'm having a problem getting along with many 'gamers' now days who think their **** don't stink and you smelled like it before you even came through the door. Feels like everybody just wants to get a rise out of you, when all you want to do is have a conversation or ask a question.

With MMOs it basically boils down to 1 try alot of different ones, 2 check each different server till you meet someone cool. Game from bigger F2P companys tend to be a bit better modified since they have tons of mini GMs that get paid in game cash. If you like fantasy MMOs Grand Fantasia over at Aeria Games is pretty fun. Me and my wife played that one for about 8 months before loosing interest. Most games they run have a pretty friendly attitude about them(lots and lots of mini moderators generally 5-10 per channel at any given time with up to 20+ during peak hours). I agree ive been just sort of game bouncing this week myself. Sit down to skyrim and fiddle with it for a 30 mins or so, play a round of LoL, surf the forums, play spore for 30 mins(almost impossible to do anything productive in this game in half an hour), ect, ect.

I could never get into the MMO formula. (quest back and forth, level up, repeat, do raids which equate to tank, dps, healer setups that bore me to death, repeat for 300hrs until you have leet gear.) The whole time feeling obligated to play since I am paying monthly for this crap.

I liked Guild Wars...especially for PVP. WoW, Lotro and Rift never sold me long term. With GW, the constant changng of the hundreds of skills created upkeep.....which I got tired of.

What's up Kohta? Long time no see. Dude I used to really get into playing FPS games, and would spend hours upon hours playing. But now I just don't have the heart to really commit to investing that much time into a game anymore. Find a hobby, at least that's what I did. Personally for me, it's nice to have a tangible result for the time that you put into something rather then having a character with lots of stuffs in a game. Again, that's only my opinion, and what I have done myself. Also as a general rule (which does not apply here) I have found that people suck. Whether it's friends of friends on Facebook, or at the store, people are generally rude and often feel the necessity to torment you until you sway your opinion over to the opinion that they have, or what have you.
As a side note, don't spend any time trying learn the art of mind reading! I tried it, and there is just NO way you will ever be able to read your wife's mind. I have tried it, and nothing works. However, I am finally (after 9 years) getting her to understand that there is no way on earth I will EVER be a mind reader. Least of all minds that I will read will be hers. :beer:

Hey Capt, haven't been up to much good, made no real progress on a game besides Skyrim in the last few years. Only other hobby i can think of is playing the piano, but there is no way i can afford a decent keyboard/piano again, last one i had got burned up so i just never invested in another.

By the way, when a 50 year old piano ignites, it burnes like a box of matches!

Seems to me that lack of interest in gaming comes with age. At least, I have noticed that in myself. When you are young, you get excited a lot easier and as you have experiences, things don't surprise you as often. It's very rare that I can sit down and play games for hours on end anymore... As a kid, I would play Zelda until one of my parents would physically put me in bed so I would sleep.

Seems to me that lack of interest in gaming comes with age. At least, I have noticed that in myself. When you are young, you get excited a lot easier and as you have experiences, things don't surprise you as often. It's very rare that I can sit down and play games for hours on end anymore... As a kid, I would play Zelda until one of my parents would physically put me in bed so I would sleep.

I can completely relate to this lol, when i started FFXI i was about 15 or 16 and i was yelled at for spending all-day-long on it, it got to the point that my mom was taking hardware away from me and hiding it. Before the baby was born i was playing 3-4 MMO's at once hardcore all while keeping my mind on each one. Can't really find that in a game anymore, not that that is exactly what i'm looking for, but that spark has diminished like you said.

Zelda was a great series of games though, i played the N64 Ocarina of Time like it was the last game on earth.

I don't game anymore either... Just lost the spirit.

And as you say, MMO gamers are not what they used to be anymore...

I can completely relate to this lol, when i started FFXI i was about 15 or 16 and i was yelled at for spending all-day-long on it, it got to the point that my mom was taking hardware away from me and hiding it. Before the baby was born i was playing 3-4 MMO's at once hardcore all while keeping my mind on each one. Can't really find that in a game anymore, not that that is exactly what i'm looking for, but that spark has diminished like you said.

Zelda was a great series of games though, i played the N64 Ocarina of Time like it was the last game on earth.

Ocarina of Time was literally one of the last games I beat. That was shortly after it came out too. I think HL2 is the only other one since then that I've completed and that was back in 04 or 05. I did play WoW for a few months at a time for hours a day on three seperate occasions before deciding to give up. Currently, Skyrim is the game I've been playing. I started out playing as much as I could but haven't played for a week now.

Ocarina of Time was literally one of the last games I beat. That was shortly after it came out too. I think HL2 is the only other one since then that I've completed and that was back in 04 or 05. I did play WoW for a few months at a time for hours a day on three seperate occasions before deciding to give up. Currently, Skyrim is the game I've been playing. I started out playing as much as I could but haven't played for a week now.

I never got the appeal of WoW, probably because i never gave it a real chance but it's dated now and i doubt i would enjoy it if it didn't run on CryEngine 3 or UE3 lol - To accommodate my new hobby i have been pondering parting out my Signature rig, my biggest fear is i wouldn't be able to sell all of it because it would take all of it to pick up a decent piano, besides that i would invest in more 50 BMG ammo before Obama's high caliber tax hits in 2013, managed to horde almost 3000 rounds so far of it, got them all at under $3 a round. Basically anything above a .308 is going to have a 28-35% tax rate after 2013 in 32 or 33 US States because they're considered as an unnecessary caliber, but some of us (me) go to competitions so that's highly unfair, i'll be preparing the best i can.

..Kohta, I've felt that way for some time also. The last game that I beat was probably GTA San Andreas.

Ive tried to play some of the new release games, but they just don't make me want to beat them, let alone play them.

I really can't play a game unless it's online, no idea why.

Really sucks getting old =/

For whatever reason, I thoroughly enjoyed playing through Dragon Age Origins. Must have been the great characters, story, combat and modern graphics. It wasn't just a fedex quest/levelup parade.

I know how you feel. I've been getting that with most games lately. Been trying out a lot of different ones now like MW3 and others that I wouldn't normally play. If you need a break until something good comes out, just take one. I myself am waiting for D3 to come out to really get my crack on again.

Since your posts have been mostly in regards to MMOs, I'd say ditch the digital and find (or organize) yourself a group of table top gamers. I'm working on a solution that utilizes the Google+ Hangouts to bring an old D&D group back together :) I'm not sure what I think about the 4th edition rules though...

Since your posts have been mostly in regards to MMOs, I'd say ditch the digital and find (or organize) yourself a group of table top gamers. I'm working on a solution that utilizes the Google+ Hangouts to bring an old D&D group back together :) I'm not sure what I think about the 4th edition rules though...
I think 4th edition is crap. My group and I use 3.5.

..Oh man table top games. In California my group would play almost five nights a week. But since moving to Florida about eight years ago, I've done nothing but work, start/raise/and support a family. I have a very small group of solo friend who I hang out with, all of whome have no DnD background, nor do I see it in their future.

Any suggestions on how to meet a local group of nerds to do some hard core once a week family man type table top adventures?

Central FL BTW.

P.S. can I get a link to a page for DnD get togethers here on OCF? If there isn't one, then we should start one!

Back