• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Rant]Sick of Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think some people tried to use Google Wave (who remembers that?) for that...with mild success.

I also think there is a site somewhere that is tied to Google Maps that will show you groups.

Yeah..it was between 08-early 11 I didn't play much of anything at all due to most of what you stated.

Then in the summer of this past year I slowly got back into them, got a few turn based games...just to play a bit walk off....comeback play a bit walk off.

Then all the sudden I got my itch back and have been playing and enjoying a new wave of gaming.

Life got stressfull/hard for a bit, that had alot to due with the "disconnect" from gaming. but the :rain: has cleared and my mind is less foggy and I'm enjoying gaming again. You know during my "time off" I didn't miss much, or miss out on much.

just back off a bit and do other things, gaming will be here for when that icht comes back....mine was several years.

..Oh man table top games. In California my group would play almost five nights a week. But since moving to Florida about eight years ago, I've done nothing but work, start/raise/and support a family. I have a very small group of solo friend who I hang out with, all of whome have no DnD background, nor do I see it in their future.

Any suggestions on how to meet a local group of nerds to do some hard core once a week family man type table top adventures?

Central FL BTW.

P.S. can I get a link to a page for DnD get togethers here on OCF? If there isn't one, then we should start one!

As stated....."real gamers do it on the table"

Never any RPG, but I did start in 1990 SPace hulk, 40K 2nd-current, Epic 40k, BFG, Man O War, Necramunda, VOR and many others..... lately Uncharted Seas.

I can completely relate to your situation. Games just don't "grab" me like they used to. I remember the days of 16 hours logged into WoW on a Saturday, staying up until 5 am playing Fable or Legend of Zelda. I am 28, so not old by any stretch, but I sometimes feel that I could be doing something more productive. (I know, I sometimes feel I will get struck by lightening for saying that.) But gaming has been a part of my life for more than 20 years; skipping class to play the latest release of whatever, locked in my bedroom as a teen was never a bad thing. My room was always designed around my PC or my console.

I have been trying out a remedy that seems to be working rather well for now. Limit your game time. It was very hard for me at first, but it got easier, and I saw better results. Results as in I could sit and enjoy a game for longer periods of time. MMOs have no place in my life right now. Between work, wife and a 1 year old kiddo, it doesn't make sense for me to pay for a game monthly that I can't commit to like I used to. I work 2nd shift (3p-11p M-F) and find that I can enjoy a game for about an hour to an hour and a half after work. Wife is asleep, baby is asleep and I am still awake anyway, so I don't feel like I am wasting any family time by it. I also found that games that I can pause, or save and quit immediately are the best for my situation. LoL or MMOs are not games for this. ROMs are perfect due to their savestate function if you are in for some older console games, and most current, single player games allow saving at almost any time.

Sometimes I feel like games just aren't made the same way they used to be. (that makes me sound like old man weatherby) I tend to replay older games I enjoyed back when and complete them for a second time (or 3rd or 15th) rather then start a new release. Other times I fell overwhelmed by the availability of games. Digital distribution makes it too easy to get distracted by the myriad of games out there and not stick to one, thus not allowing me to fully immerse myself in a single game. I am not exaggerating when I say I have 60+ games sitting at home that have not been beaten, let alone 100% completed. That was the moment I realized I needed to tone back the acquisition of more games, and just sit and play what I have.

end rant:blah:

I read your post, and the entire time I thought to myself: This dude needs to buy starcraft II. Seriously, the community is the best in the industry, period. No community is so good, you got day9, husky, various other lower name casters, and hours upon hours upon hours... weeks of content you can watch that theory craft the game. It's also one of the few games with a thriving pro circuit.

In short, the game's community, balance, and general play-ability are in the top echelons of the best of the best.

In my mind, games aren't games until you begin challenging yourself. Hard mode raids approach being a game, but realistically are just you slamming in a pattern. You occasionally diverge from this pattern, but in general you get a good feel of how to kill a boss efficiently and then he's on farm; no longer challenging.

I tried to get good at quakelive, but that's a hard egg to crack. Starcraft II is a game I'm picking up easier and the game is in general easier to learn and teach than others, it's less about how accurately you can aim your cursor and more about what you intend to do and how well you do it. It's different, and for me I'm finding it's the first game I'm actually getting good at.

I was gold with zerg, top 8, working into platinum and sort of hit a road block, so I lost 200 to 300 games in a row to get placed back into bronze to play as random, solely to learn the other two races and eventually improve upon my zerg performance. Having played some of the newbie builds for the other races, I can now identify and respond correctly to them as zerg perfectly and it's giving me an edge.

So as you can see, there's a lot to learn, and having played it for hours a day for 7 months now, I'm still NOWHERE near truly good at the game. It's game you can make a lifestyle around... few games are like that. :)

Not sure if you've tried EVE Online

It's a pvp based MMO with consequences if that's what you're looking for

Skilling is not grinding driven, combat ranges skill is mainly player skill and tactics, to large scale fleet fights where spying, sabotage, overall strategy and propaganda win wars.

Complex player driven political system and free market enterprises make this game

Definitely different from your traditional mmo
You'll either love it or hate it

Pve is pretty terrible though

Last edited:
I've heard that with EVE, if you didn't start skilling your character right when it launched, you're going to get owned by everyone that's been around longer.

I've also heard that there's something wrong with the market and ore, not totally sure what that's all about though.

It's a common misconception, especially among those who went from traditional MMOs to EVE
Since each skill is capped at level 5, and each level gives around 5% bonus, while training time per level scales exponentially the overall advantage a highly skill leveled character has over you for that specific ship is around 25-30%
which is fair enough, they have put more time into the game than you

But it also means they are risking a more expensive clone and a person who is more skilled (player skill wise) can easily outsmart them (assuming all other variables the same)

But 1v1 fights of the same thing rarely happen, due to in pvp, when your space ship dies, it's dead.

The in games skills serve as enablers rather than a decisive factor.

As for the market, it depends. Since it's open market on 1 server, theoretically speaking, if you have enough money, you can crash the entire market for a specific commodity via market manipulation. It is completely unregulated by CCP by design. 90% of the things on the market are player produced.

Whether that's a good thing or not really depends on whether you stand as a consumer or out to make a profit.

I took an interest in EVE and even had someone nice enough to explain the overwhleming User Interface and ways to filter stuff, i love mining and crafting in a game, it's by far one of the first things i do in any MMO, i sit down and find out how i can make my own stuff.

But i got overwhelmed yet again when i found out i'm better off just staying logged out for (5 days) while my skill went from Lv3 -> 4, i just wanted to mine and craft, on top of that, some of the skill books i needed were millions and millions of currency, so it made me hit a dead end that it would take me about a year to really get situation into a crafting routine. Beyond that i never could afford a ship in a timely manner mining ore and selling it, i tried, i had people stealing my containers, i was spinning wheels.

I took an interest in EVE and even had someone nice enough to explain the overwhleming User Interface and ways to filter stuff, i love mining and crafting in a game, it's by far one of the first things i do in any MMO, i sit down and find out how i can make my own stuff.

But i got overwhelmed yet again when i found out i'm better off just staying logged out for (5 days) while my skill went from Lv3 -> 4, i just wanted to mine and craft, on top of that, some of the skill books i needed were millions and millions of currency, so it made me hit a dead end that it would take me about a year to really get situation into a crafting routine. Beyond that i never could afford a ship in a timely manner mining ore and selling it, i tried, i had people stealing my containers, i was spinning wheels.

I'm not going to lie

I was probably one of them
lol

Kohta, it sounds to me like you're outgrowing games. Most 'popular' games seem to be geared towards a younger crowd and offer the quick thrill, but very few offer long term gameplay. It's always on to the next release without a single good-night kiss. I prefer games you can get into for quite some time.

I used to love multiplayer games, and would still like to, but all that is immoral is on the internet these days. My online gaming ended with BF2, for reasons most of you know. I prefer single player games now, and I'm very picky about them. I loved Skyrim for a while, until I beat everything, and now it's a bit boring. Same with Fallout 3 and NV. I love exploring. Mass Effect 1 & 2 were good. Dragon Age Origins was good, DA2--not so much, but I played through it a couple of times.

But my biggest time waster of all? Civilization 5. I have spent more hours on that game, usually in between other games, than all other games combined. There are so many ways to play and it keeps your brain occupied like no other. Keeping track of 25 cities (or more), along with who wants to wipe you out or who you want to wipe out takes a ton of time. On a huge map, a single turn in late game can take 20 minutes or more. I've been working on a single game for over a week now. But, you can make a short game or long game; war or peace. And it is true what they say...just one more turn!

Take it from an old fart, a gamer of over 25 years, and give it a go. Once you get into the mechanics, it really opens things up for you and makes it more enjoyable. Find it too easy? Rachet up the difficulty and you will find it's never going to be easy no matter how good you get at it. It does have multiplayer and most people who play this game are not the online kiddie norm. This is a thinking man's strategy game where every action you perform will have an effect. Not to mention, since it's turn based, it's easy to drop what you're doing on the spot and take care of your family.

As you get older, your priorities change. Personally, I think I should start a couple of "old school" game servers, for uh I dunno maybe Unreal Tourney, or maybe even some quake III arena and see how much interest there is.

I understand where you are coming from though...it seems that there are a lot of "kiddies" out there that all they can say is "you fil in the blank",even when you are kikking but.
It is hard to stay interested when all you see are snotty attitudes and rude behavior.

I remember in the quakeII days when someone would notice your net lag and go out of their way to help you optimize your net thruput.

Never did the MMO thing...not much into role play...I have always been a hardcore FPS type.

Back