• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor 10K vs. Hitachi T7K250 RAID 0 (Results Inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gabber359 said:
What new Raptors? That immediately piqued my interest, went to the WD site, but can only the find the standard 74GB Raptor, no info on a new breed.

Can someone fill me in please?

Rumor has it that there are 160gb Raptors comming out soon.

very cool.

Out of personal experience I am going with the raptors in RAID 0. Windows Xp Pro SP2 installing in about 15 minuites was a feat. Plus I dont think I would ever use 500gigs ofs torage.

Thanks for the tests Sucka =)

{PMS}fishy said:
Rumor has it that there are 160gb Raptors comming out soon.

Meh, 160GB? I hope that's not the only 'new thing', I'd rather have a minimum increase in storage space (or not at all) and have new features, ie, larger cache, faster, more efficient, etc. Basically a more advanced and superior version that will once again blow everthing else away. That, for me, is synonymous with the Raptor series....

Gabber359 said:
Meh, 160GB? I hope that's not the only 'new thing', I'd rather have a minimum increase in storage space (or not at all) and have new features, ie, larger cache, faster, more efficient, etc. Basically a more advanced and superior version that will once again blow everthing else away. That, for me, is synonymous with the Raptor series....

It'll be faster then the 74s, just like the 74s are faster then the 36s.

and the 74s are in their last days
I wouldn't say that...I haven't seen anyone else come out with a 10K drive. Transfers for 7200RPM drives are getting quicker, but nothing can beat that faster spindle speed.

johan851 said:
I wouldn't say that...I haven't seen anyone else come out with a 10K drive. Transfers for 7200RPM drives are getting quicker, but nothing can beat that faster spindle speed.

i dunno the 7200's are creaping up behind them, they are almost 2 years old.

i still bought one though :p

The 7200's are getting closer in terms of sustained transfer rates, but are still far away from the seek times the Raptor delivers. And once you get a read that isn't contiguous (it's not like every file you read is a nice, defragmented 100mb file), seek times have a huge effect on the overall read speed.

cooter said:
Sucka thanks for the post but I would like to recommend one thing if i could. HD benchmarks seem to be the most inaccurate that there are (my Fujitsu 15k SCSI drive would lose in your test setup, but it is faster in real world apps).

Could you do some tests with the same setups but instead of using benchmarks use a stopwatch and test load times. VIO1 and I did this in the past. Do things like check the load times for game maps, time for programs to open. Time to do a virus scan, disk cleanup, encode something, save a big file in photoshop.

I think that these real world tests would be very valueble, also if you could do them with single drive and the drive in RAID0 that would be good to.

Just a suggestion/request. But thanks for the current info and taking the time to do that.

Yeah i can do that when i get back from vacation. Gonna be gone until next week so i won't have time. As i stated from the start it's hard to pick what is better. And when going by feeling alone there's really not a huge noticable difference between the two. I would venture a guess the Raptor's would be faster by a second here and a few seconds there, but nothing substantial. I will test and see how right/wrong i am. Thanks for the suggestion.

great stuff Sucka i found the same results with 7K80 drives http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=1026

These are screaming fast!

4x 80GB 7K80 Hitachi SATAII NCQ

Raid 0
with 16K stripe + 4K cluster

atto_32MB.jpg

filesystem_1.jpg

hdtach_1_tn.jpg

Pcmark04 hdd vs Pcmark05 hdd
pcmark04_hdd.jpg

pcmark05_hdd.jpg

hey sucka, you used 64K stripe but how about the cluster size? standard 4 or 16 to keep 4:1 ratio??? also, did you enabled Spectrum clocking?? if so, then did you enabled spectrum clocking in bios too?

Thanks

Death-Evil said:
hey sucka, you used 64K stripe but how about the cluster size? standard 4 or 16 to keep 4:1 ratio??? also, did you enabled Spectrum clocking?? if so, then did you enabled spectrum clocking in bios too?

Thanks

64k Stripe, no spectrum.

Eva, nice results, these are some nice drives indeed :thup:

The new hitachis are amazing performers. If you need space and performance, then hitachis are a must. Also when are the new raptors coming out, and how big will they be.
Thanks

elec999 said:
The new hitachis are amazing performers. If you need space and performance, then hitachis are a must. Also when are the new raptors coming out, and how big will they be.
Thanks

Don't know when, but word is 160GBs.

Thanks alot for all of the info Sucka. I wasn't sure if I should get a 'normal' 7200 rpm drive ~200Gb or a couple of raptors. I am not doing raid but this helped me with my choice...I'm sticking with Maxtor 7200 rpm drives.

-RedWraith

Drec said:
My raptor is really loud when reading and writing :(

Yeah, the Raptors (74's esspecially) are quite loud. Although i can't mesure the sound, it's audible from accross the room while in a RAID 0.

Sucka

Would you mind to make a comparison with these Hitachies with NCQ on and off?

Back