• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raspberry Pi Benchmarking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

Rather than continue to clutter up the monthly competition thread, I'll create a new thread!
This thread is about Raspberry Pi benchmarks. HWBot specific benchmarks (there's only one, so far. It's here), random system benchmarks, whatever. I don't really care what kind of benchmarks!

On my long term goal list is emulating win95/x86 and running the normal HWBot benches, but that's going to be annoying.
In the mean time, I'm running HWBotPrime as I type this! It's expected run time is in the 2-3 hour area. Takes 30s on my 2600k@4GHz :p

I'm working with a 1st retail generation Pi, 256MB.
Current progress:
Pi Benchmark said:
pi@raspberrypi ~/benches $ ./benchbot.sh
preparing file for linux
jar /home/pi/benches/hwbotprime.jar
skipping META-INF/MANIFEST.MF <> cpuid-linux32
skipping META-INF/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/hwbot/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/hwbot/bench/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/hwbot/bench/BootStrap.class <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/hwbot/bench/PrimeBenchmark.class <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/hwbot/bench/PrimeBenchService.class <> cpuid-linux32
skipping org/hwbot/bench/PrimeRunnable.class <> cpuid-linux32
skipping META-INF/maven/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/hwbotprime/ <> cpuid-linux32
skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/hwbotprime/pom.xml <> cpuid-linux32
skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/hwbotprime/pom.properties <> cpuid-linux32
Prepared: /tmp/cpuid
could not finish execution because of error(s).
*** Error : /tmp/cpuid: 1: /tmp/cpuid: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

--------- HWBOT BENCH 0.1.0 ----------

Processor detected:

Estimating speed... 0 Ghz
Running benchmark using 1 threads.
Starting benchmark...
No progress bar so far, been running ~10m. Took 10m to give up on detecting CPU speed.

What've you got?

EDIT:
The above is via a SSH console to my main computer. No monitor/keyboard attached, just power and ethernet.

i have a 512mb pi. When I have more time I will see if I can figure this out.

Once you have Java on it (that took a bit for me), it's pretty simple. Download, unzip, run, wait a few hours :p

I have never even messed with it. The only thing i have done is put xbmc on it so I could watch movies in bed, when I had the flu.

That's more than I've done with mine, up till today anyway.
Certainly a more productive use!

Here's the benching station:

pibenching.jpg

Well, this settles it. I've been debating whether I should get one of these for quite a while now. Probably will pickup two so I can have one I know I won't kill. Has anyone checked what lower temps will do to these?

Not that I'm aware of. They're contemplating it on HWBot.
Serious Cold is unlikely to fly without some creativity, as there's a crystal on the bottom of the board right under the CPU. Crystals don't appreciate Cold much, at best they slow down a few percent. At worse they stop :p

Maybe put a heatsink on the crystal to keep it warm.
Or of course put a heatsink+fan on the CPU and then toss the whole shebang into the freezer. It's actually low enough wattage for a mini-fridge to work even! Then both crystals and any resonators and such would all be slowing down, rather than just one.

EDIT:
Oh and the benchmark isn't done yet.

if you get a benching software work tell me this is only reason i dont have one
also i may wait and see what they offer for next gen of Pi
also nice heatsink :thup:

Poorly, thing hangs. Haven't figured out what to do about that yet, may try a different OS.

hmm shame
i really wish this could run XP or a benching OS
besides bench what you do with your PI (besides eat it)

So far? Nothing :p
I'd like to make a print server out of it though.

yay that pretty much why i dont have a PI but i would like one(that and i have like 12 running computers), however i know $40 could go to new benching hardware

CLI, ain't no SS :p
No CPUz for ARM anyway.
Benchbot comes with a CLI submission process though, that's what was used.

CLI only ! I thought they could run Linux ?, I was toying with the idea of getting one, but if its CLI only it would be wasted in my hands.

It can, but it's a pain to unplug my fiance's HDMI monitor and plug the Pi in.
Much easier to just stick power and ethernet in and SSH into it.

Back