• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-applying thermal paste to GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rickoles

Hey all! =D

I fixed a friends computer and in return asked for his non working 8800GT. It wouldn't post and I had no clue how to fix it just that I would give it a shot. I read that baking them at 190c for ~10 minutes fixed some cards and I had nothing to lose.

Well, it worked! rofl. Now I want to re-apply the thermal paste to the GPU before screwing it all back together.

My question is this: How do I go about removing the existing thermal paste residue from the GPU without damaging it?

And

I don't need any different kind of thermal paste do I? One size fits all?

Thanks!

EDIT: Any tips on how to apply it best? I'm assuming in vertical lines?

Instructions depend on the paste you are using... If its generic, often times it doen't have instructions though.

Could be worth it to get a respectable paste, like arctic silver or some of the trendier options people prefer. I like AS because I've always liked it, and because its stood the test of time in my opinion. Thermal paste tests usually show slightly better temps on some other pastes, but none of those are long term tests to show how things hold up over time months/years. Maybe they are better than arctic silver though, I don't have anything to prove otherwise.

Putting a good paste on is a good idea though because you don't want something thats going to dry up or pump out, unless you plan to check it or reapply every so often.

As for cleaning it, there are cleaner products you could buy, or a few things you may have in your home already. Old thread, but its the top result in google for "remove thermal paste":
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313494

Instructions depend on the paste you are using... If its generic, often times it doen't have instructions though.

Could be worth it to get a respectable paste, like arctic silver or some of the trendier options people prefer. I like AS because I've always liked it, and because its stood the test of time in my opinion. Thermal paste tests usually show slightly better temps on some other pastes, but none of those are long term tests to show how things hold up over time months/years. Maybe they are better than arctic silver though, I don't have anything to prove otherwise.

Putting a good paste on is a good idea though because you don't want something thats going to dry up or pump out, unless you plan to check it or reapply every so often.

As for cleaning it, there are cleaner products you could buy, or a few things you may have in your home already. Old thread, but its the top result in google for "remove thermal paste":
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313494
Thanks for all the info, I'm getting in the car now. The computer shop just down the road only stocks AS 3g http://www.ple.com.au/?p=snapshot&inventory_id=661 as I just found out so I'm glad you recommend it =D

I have taken apart several gpu cards and cleaned their stuff out (dried/crumbling, looks like it was put in with a caulking gun). I used 90 something percent alcohol and Q-tips then used the can of air to dry it, then I use the spread method on it rather than the dot, I really don't know what the best way is but this has worked for me. It took about 5C off of a Zotac 9800 gtx+ AMP after I did that.

I really wish there was an easier way to clean the heat sink and fan on some of these cards. The son's GTX 460 is so much easier to clean than the 9800 series cards.

Edit: Forgot to mention I used AS5.

Aha! I have one of those cards, it has a Thermalright HS on it. You should cool the ram and a few mosfets too. Not sure if TR sells just the HS kit. If your keeping the stock cooler NM.

Cleaning the old paste off is just like any CPU chip. Qtips, bottle of regular drugsore alcohol, coffee filter for last wipe (non linting) etc.

Replacing the TPads could be tricky if totally smashed. I have NO idea how thick the originals were etc. I recommend reusing the original pads. It was a free card so not a lot of loss if it no workie?

Performance PC's sells it it in many thicknesses, and maybe the forums at NVIDIA might have a clue, or some obscure Google might help.

Back