• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

READ THIS: Discussions regarding piracy are against forum rules

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My last company was run by cheapskates...my boss preferred bootlegged software (left there by my predecessor). And our network had nothing on it for monitoring either. They wouldn't invest. Made my job easier though.

I can see why it was your last company. :) I wouldn't want to work for a company like that either.

My company used to be like that. We are a non-profit social services agency and the logic is that we cannot spend money on expensive things like software. Of course, that need not be but we have an administration that has the microshaft = good thing going on.

In reality, we are also a corporation with a few million dollars of assets to our credit. However, we are very tight with the money on the grounds that we depend on hard work to raise money. How that makes us different from a for profit corporation I have no idea.

Anyway, the prevailing attitude for many years has been that when you install software, the “click to accept” button is just what you have to do to use the stuff and nobody ever read the user agreements. Really, they should have because sometimes you are allowed to install stuff all over the place and other times, it is one box at a time. But nobody would ever know that. They see the accept button and they read “just say yes to whatever it means”.

Also, despite being somewhat a microsnot only outfit, we had lots of non-ms stuff running all the time. If someone got an itch to do a project such as, for example, making business cards and they saw some box in Staples that would do that for only $30, that would get bought and installed (we absolutely must never explore the menus in MS-office when we can throw money at a non-existent problem). Free downloads from wherever were all over the place. Personal software was brought in from home and company software was often brought home for personal use.

As a result, I was constantly dealing with virus infections. And when I asked about buying a site license for an anti-virus package, I was told that just last week someone saw a last year's copy of something in the bin at Staples for $10. That would be purchased for me and I had to install it on every machine in the building.

Reformatting a computer was an at least once a month thing for me. And to make matters worse, I eventually got to the point where I could not find a complete set of software despite it all being locked in a closet because one of the people with the key developed a habit of not returning what he “borrowed” and was maintaining a personal archive in his locked desk drawer (and he would not open the drawer because he felt that that would mean that he would have to walk about 50 feet to the closet the next time he wanted something).

I could go on for days about what was going on but you get the idea.

Today, we are in the 21st century and our funding sources have us writing reports directly into their databases on software that costs like $20K per install. And that stuff simply cannot be installed in an unregulated environment. We have to have an outside company manage our computers remotely and they could not even begin until they did a software audit and got us right with whomever the man is. I really feel sorry for the guys who had to do that work.

Why don't they just make this a sticky? Jesus... WHAT DOES IT TAKE to have a sticky around here? It's like you have to be in a sticky clique or something. :)

Yeah well it's better than people forgetting about it and posting something they shouldn't which will bump this thread up again for a few days then it gets forgotten again.

The reason for not it being a sticky is because no one looks at them.

Thats why we have floater threads like so around that get bumped around and up here and there for reminders. Its not the fact that people shouldn't need to read this about Illegal software since guess what its in the rules itself, which happens to be a sticky as well. So for that reason thats why this and others like this aren't stickied.

Bleh, the reason noone reads stickies is because half of the damn things involve OCing a Celeron to 400mhz. If they would simply be removed when they become dated, people might start looking at them..

as other forums have for people who have just joined, it should redirect you once logged in to a thread with all rules in it, the person then can not post until they have responded in that thread, have seen this done in the past, thus they have no excuse and can jhust be banned as they already agreed to the rules, this assures that everyone had, at least a chance, to read the rules, if they choose to agree and not read, not OC's problem.

Bleh, the reason noone reads stickies is because half of the damn things involve OCing a Celeron to 400mhz. If they would simply be removed when they become dated, people might start looking at them..

If I remember correctly they just did that a year (maybe more) ago and cleaned up a lot of the threads. It's a major undertaking and involves a lot of folks.

This apparently needs a bump, after the bonehead who posted GTA4 videos from the pirate copy...

Back