• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reality Check Minneapolis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey i was just thinking about starting a thread about this, but yeah i am going, do you have a set meeting place or what flounder?

I signed up, but won't be able to go. Dang dang dang, the thought of the possibility of winning a free processor just kills me.

EDIT*

For some reason I thought this was for Brooklyn...Sorry wrong location.

Last edited:
Demont said:
hey i was just thinking about starting a thread about this, but yeah i am going, do you have a set meeting place or what flounder?

Well, Sickboy and I have exchanged cell phone numbers, and are going to meet up that way.

If you have a cell phone, we could do that...

BTW, it can be tricky to get to International Market Square...here are some directions for those that haven't been there...

http://www.harriettubman.org/direct.pdf

I just got back from the event. I thought it was nice enough, although a bit cheesy, of course.

I did get a t-shirt, but no cpu. Met Sickboy for the first time. Also met Demont and Gravity Man.

Lots of people there, it was packed. The odds of winning, therefore, were not very good.

Just got back... It was cool to meet you guys... but I must say, that event went EXCESSIVELY long....

And honestly, we KNEW the chick was going to win the dance contest. I think she might have an... ahem... night job... lol

All I got was a t-shirt. It was too long and there were too many people, but at least we didn't have to stand outside at 5 AM. Nice meeting you all, though.

i just got back from the NY event and it wasn't that bad considering i didn't win/get anything, and i got lost and ended up paying for a cab, oh and i stood in heavy rain for 30 mins. im SO HAPPY now.

hey, my friend with the lisp won one of the 2200+'s. the other person with my was my brother. nice meeting you guys, but i didnt meet sick boy, oh well. :)

i did manage to get a hat and a shirt. as well as a hat for said friend and a shirt for my brother. (ultimate frisbee helps my jumping and grabbing skills)

oh yeah, how about that hardocp dork who won the system contest, his very appearance offended me.... bah!

see you next year guys. :D

SickBoy said:
And honestly, we KNEW the chick was going to win the dance contest. I think she might have an... ahem... night job... lol

i already forgot her name but i met her before the show. my friend tried to steal her ticket things, cause she left them at the registration table, haha. i agree about the night job, lol.

Hey flounder43 and any other O/C forum members at the Minneapolis show!

I saw you guys at the event! I'm brand new here in the forums, but I've been an anonymous lurker of the website predominantly and some with the forums since sometime in 2000. I'm a total junkie when it comes to reading Ed and Joe's famous analogies when explaining computer technology. It always gives me a chuckle or sheds some helpful insight. I wanted to say something to you guys tonight, but I knew I was just some anonymous lurker. Anyways, I'm the boof who inserted the floppy cable incorrectly and got 2nd place tonight in Minneapolis. I got all frazzled after having trouble screwing in the darn motherboard. They gave me a screwdriver that was too big for the screws so it continually slipped out of the screw's grooves. I should have brought my own trusty magnetic multiple head screwdriver like the other guy. I was just sooooo nervous and my hands were shaking soooo much! Oh well, I still got 2 2200+ T-Bred A's (KV3C's), 2 shirts, hat, bag, $500. It was still a blast. I wish I read this thread before the show.

P.S. After the contest I was stuck onstage during the final raffle, so I was chitchatting with a PR guy from AMD....he was one of the few actual AMD employees there. I tried to smoothe him over into telling me a release date for Hammer. Alas, all I got was "it'll be out in Q1."

NOTE: I think my memory served me incorrectly on the above quote....I was too high on adrenaline. The rep actually told me "first half." Ignore Q1, though I sure wouldn't mind it if it came out in Q1.

Leif

Last edited:
hey, cool, i was rooting for you man! even though you didnt win the big prize, congrats! 500 bucks is a good chunk of cash, and that will be a nice upgrade from your 750 in the sig.... but can i have the other 2200+? :D

Leif - what was the deal with the floppy thing? We know you had it wrong the first time (and honestly, who DOES get it right the first time? I don't think I ever have), but when you switched it you got the floppy drive fail error? That seemed kinda weird to me. LOL those computers were probably designed to explode if assembled even the slightest bit incorrectly (hence the guy in NY who apparently fried his PSU making the same mistake)... :)

And look at it this way... if that other guy hadn't won he probably would have gone home and committed suicide because he wasn't "King of the Nerds".... :D

SickBoy said:
Leif - what was the deal with the floppy thing? We know you had it wrong the first time (and honestly, who DOES get it right the first time? I don't think I ever have), but when you switched it you got the floppy drive fail error? That seemed kinda weird to me. LOL those computers were probably designed to explode if assembled even the slightest bit incorrectly (hence the guy in NY who apparently fried his PSU making the same mistake)... :)

And look at it this way... if that other guy hadn't won he probably would have gone home and committed suicide because he wasn't "King of the Nerds".... :D

LOL. To tell you the truth I'm not sure. It baffled me too. But quite honestly, I'd never been so anxious before. It felt like I was dreaming about this and thinking all along...do I have what it takes to be a supergeek and prove my geekdom? And then I realize....no I'm just an average Joe. Damn!

I couldn't even recall for you everything that happened. I don't remember if that floppy connector was keyed properly on the end that connects to the mobo....perhaps I connected that backwards? But I'm sure I didn't. I know that the end connected to the floppy wasn't keyed. And I just couldn't remember going souly from looking at the ribbon which end was up. I knew I had a 50/50 chance so I thought I'd try it one way and hope like hell. I don't connect floppy cables for a living...nor even a pastime. It's just not that exciting for me. Now I could instantly tell the difference between a T-Bird, Palomino, and T-Bred chip....that's a little more exciting for me. Oh well. I had a lot of fun. It was definitely worth my time.

I guess I can't argue with what DS said here.

Surely you all know the one thing you are 50% likely to screw up, no matter how good you get.

Go ahead, take a guess.

Even a seasoned professional like me makes this mistake occasionally, because FLOPPY DRIVES do not always conform to the standards that other devices conform to. How often do you get keyed cables? How often is the drive's connections proerly keyed? And how often does pin1 go next to the power lead, like it always does for IDE or SCSI?

P.S. If you cheered for me thanks a lot. I came by myself, so I had no fan club with me. I didn't know a soul there except there was this one tall redhaired guy that I think went to my alma mater college, Luther College. I didn't have a chance to say hi to him though.
hey, cool, i was rooting for you man! even though you didnt win the big prize, congrats! 500 bucks is a good chunk of cash, and that will be a nice upgrade from your 750 in the sig.... but can i have the other 2200+?
I'm probably going to sell both of these processors on EBay this weekend. I see that they're going for $164 currently at NewEgg and I know that won't last very long. Wait a couple weeks and I could lose $20 or more value on each one. Plus they're both T-Bred Rev A's (AXDA2200DKV3C). If I was actually going to go AMD, I want at least a T-Bred B but more preferrably a Barton. I don't think I'll wait for Hammer yet. Originally, I was planning to go with a C-1 P4 and I like that Asus Granite Bay mobo. I'm still formulating my decision.

Last edited:
lol both guys from NY had the floppy error, honestly i think thats sad, i have never put that cable in incorrectly, and i remember one of the box builders tell all his friends that he will buy them all dinner with that 100 bucks he got if they wont tell anyone that he screwed up like that during the battle of the boxes.

Lol, that was you, Leif? Good job with the questions, too bad about the floppy. I was the one shouting "Flip the floppy cable!"

My theory is that it was wrong the first time, and you needed to reset the cmos after fixing it. I know that there have been times when I tried it both ways and it didn't work either way.

Good to see you here, hope to see you around more!
Eric

Congrats Leif, and since nobody else has said it,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

We might be wierd, but we're friendly.

steve

Back