• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really bad 3dmark scores with 9800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kilomph

Registered
Ok,

P4 3.06 533 FSB HT (watercooled)
Gigabyte 8IHXP I850E (with updated bios) (northbridge watercooled)
Gigabyte 9800 Pro 256MB (watercooled)
(2) 256MB RDRAM 1066Mhz Kingston
Seagate Cheetah 15k 68pin 18GB (watercooled)
win2k
646CFM (288CFM in 358CFM out)
and some other crap

I have the latest motherboard drivers, latest win2k update, and latest catalyst drivers, AA + AF and everything else in direct 3d as low as possible with vsync off, and i'm only scoring 12100 on 3dmark 01. I don't care much about 3dmark scores, but my PC obviously isn't up to par... any ideas?

Whenever I run 3dmark benches, I notice a substantial increase in performance if I go into the card options and set everything to
"application preference."

hmm, 13100

still not even close... could I have damaged the card when I was installing watercooling? I really can't think of anything else... it was my first time installing watercooling on anything, but i'm pretty sure I did a good job... I think it would have overheated by now anyway. Could it not be gettin enough power? If I don't get this fixed with someone elses help or dumb luck by myself, i'm going to throw this pos out the window, not kidding :mad:

could it be that my mobo doesn't support 8x agp?

Last edited:
Check my sig, I've got your board and ram but everything else you have is much faster. I score 12000+ stock so I'd say something is wrong. I don't think 8x makes that much of a diff, seems like you should be up in the high teens.

Man am I surprised at your score. With my setup (read sig) I get 19,300 with just a 9700np. I hope when my 9800np comes in my score doesn't drop.

TheGr8s1 said:
Man am I surprised at your score. With my setup (read sig) I get 19,300 with just a 9700np. I hope when my 9800np comes in my score doesn't drop.

lol, yea, thanks.

uh... we'll I still dont know WTF is going on... any other ideas? I really don't know what to do... so anything is appreciated ;)

[EDIT] Could the hardware be damaged? I'd think that it just wouldn't work all around. Could the GPU not be gettin enough power?

Kilomph said:

Could the hardware be damaged? I'd think that it just wouldn't work all around. Could the GPU not be gettin enough power?

Lack of power would just cause it to fail. It wouldn't cause low 3DMark scores.

Did you bench with 3DMark before you installed your watercooling?

My best guess is that your video card is not being clocked at the correct rate. In other words, the video card itself is bad. I don't know of a good way to test this theory though.

Can you spot anything you might have damaged when you installed your waterblock?

I got ~12500 to 13000 when I had the slider on the ATI control panel set to "quality" under the OpenGL and DirectX tabs.

I changed it to the one 2nd from the left ( high perf?)..insta 20000.

I also think I have read something about the GPU powering down to a fraction of normal if there is'nt enough juice supplied..or was that the NVidia's?

C

-What power supply are you running?

-What are the card's current clock speeds?

-How are your water temp's?

-Double check that ALL driver's are installed correctly in device manager.....ie chipset drivers, video driver's, ect.

I had that problem with my 9700 Pro a while back. First off see if you have fast write enabled, and that its at 8x in the advanced options in your video display on the smartguard tab.

If not then try to turn them on. If that fails then check your motherboard bios and see if fast write is on and that agp 8x is enabled. If both are enabled in the mobo bios and wont go on in the smart guard tab, then try this:

Go to start then run. Type dxdiag then enter. This will bring up the direct x diagnostic tools. Go to the display tab and under Direct X features make sure that the AGP Acceleration is enabled.
If it is then your video card is messed up somehow. If its greyed out then there is hope. You will have to first install your chipset drivers and then reinstall just the video card drivers. Then run your 3d mark and all should be well hopefully.

That worked for me so lets hope that this is the only problem.

Power Supply - 350 watt Enermax

Current Clock Speeds are stock - Core 378/Memory 351

Temps - CPU is running aroud 35C, which is high for watercooling, the CPU is running high because I put too much Arctic Silver on, i'll re-do that whenever I get the time. I'm positive I didn't put too much or little on the ATI, northbridge is probably fine... don't have a temp monitor for that. The Koolance LCD on top says 27C at full load. The sinks on the ATI are cold after hours of Counter-Strike, I have that 92mm 120CFM directly infront of it, then then the dual 80s 83CFM behind it.

My motherboard doesn't support 8x, but in SMARTGART(tm) its showing 4x AGP with FastWrite On.

I set Direct3d and OpenGL to the second tab from the left, and scored 13970. Which is better, but still WAY behind...

I'll get back to you all later tonight once i've re-installed all the drivers and updates. Is there a certain order I should be doing them all? If so... is it too late, can I just install them in the correct order now? Or would I have to re-format and start over?

thanks for all the replies!

I got my scores with no order to my installations, I'm planning on doing it properly next weekend when I manage to back everything up.

I' not positive how much of a loss in performance there would be in/out of order? Perhaps someone knows more about that.

C

Back