• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebuild or Phase advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grin

Hey guys this is my very first post but ive been reading alot for quite some time under other usernames. From most of the threads ive read recently i see loads of rebuilds but no thought into possible extreme cooling upgrades over a new cpu. I only say this because this is my dilemma

Currently i already have a homebuilt phase unit that brought my x6800ee-es up too 410x11 at 4510mhz running -28c full load. But alas the new house ive moved into is quite moist and i have trouble with condensation buildup on the back of the mobo.

So my Comp currently is:

p965-s dark board
x6800ee-es stepping: b1
big typhoon vx
Non brand name case
G skill f2 6400-phu2-2gbhz ive had these up too 1066
Raptor 10krpm 150gig drive (xp pro)
WD 500gb 7200rpm
8800gtx 768
550w enermax psu
42inch hd plasma 1920:1080

Currently im running stable at 310x12 - 3720 37-38 idle 60-62 loaded with the typhoon

Ive got a lovely budget of 2grand and have been giving serious thought to moving to the Vapochill XE 2 case (full tower) with current setup with no condensation worries i should be hitting atleast 4.2ghz

Or do i completely rebuild and stick with air or water to be honest i like the look of the Sticky reconmendation:

* Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 (instead of 8500) Wolfdale
* DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB
* G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 2x2gb DDR2-1000

With a new Antec 1200 and "t.r.u.e" dual fan or possibly water

Im not really sure what i want with the likes of the video card. Im thinking about a 4870x2 but the 8800gtx has treated me very well and nvidia is due atleast some loyalty with the 280gtx also sitting there. Im not really considering genuine sli or crossfire

Psu isnt really an issue ill just buy whats needed once the build is finalised.

This system will be aimed at overclocking and gaming but to be honest i like looking at 3dmark06 scores more if you get my drift
As a side note i can pick up a qx9770 "es" for 900nzd and building a system around this would be interesting but i cant really be arsed with vista 64 unless of course its not as bad as some would have me believe

Basically what in your learned opinions would be a better choice rebuild or phase
I understand the 2grand hasnt been used entirely so anything else i could add would be lovely :)

cheers

Personally I would rebuild. Your set-up is getting a bit aged. I would either do a Penryn rebuild or wait on Nehalem, depending on how soon you need the system.

Back