• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Received My FX 8350 today 1st push on it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Test it yourself ;)

I haven't put the time in to analyze what the AIDA test calculates but I have run it and compared a few times, I could pass AIDA with an FX-8150 at 4.9 GHz for an hour when P95 would only pass 4.7, and around 4.8 instantly errored ;) This goes with memory checked or not...

Furthermore temps are like 15c lower than with P95.
I have.. thanks. :thup:

Like I said, you will find people from both AMD/Intel stating what I said above.. I pass this but not that. I pass that, but not this. I pass the other thing, but not this or that. XS, here, Ananad, Tom's, Rage3D, TPU, anecdotal reports of that all over the place.

My generic advice is to pick one, again I prefer AIDA64 since its said, by Asus actually, to test more instruction sets than P95. Im not sure what IBT does but whatever it does the load is wholly unrealistic so I avoid it outside of 5 min quick tests for temps. Now this was with Intel so it may be different on AMD, I have no idea. You(BB2) know a lot more than me on the AMD side of the house however.

To me, its best to try one, since I am on Intel, I use AIDA64. When it passes, Im good doing what I need to on my PC. And yep, its like 10C lower than P95 and 15C lower than IBT. I hear where you are coming from, but I have to, at least for Intel, side with what the Asus guy said about stress testing IB. Again, OP is on AMD so that may be different. :thup:

Like I said, you will find people from both AMD/Intel stating what I said above.. I pass this but not that. I pass that, but not this. I pass the other thing, but not this or that. XS, here, Ananad, Tom's, Rage3D, TPU, anecdotal reports of that all over the place.

My generic advice is to pick one, again I prefer AIDA64 since its said, by Asus actually, to test more instruction sets than P95. Im not sure what IBT does but whatever it does the load is wholly unrealistic so I avoid it outside of 5 min quick tests for temps. Now this was with Intel so it may be different on AMD, I have no idea. You(BB2) know a lot more than me on the AMD side of the house however.

To me, its best to try one, since I am on Intel, I use AIDA64. When it passes, Im good doing what I need to on my PC. And yep, its like 10C lower than P95 and 15C lower than IBT. I hear where you are coming from, but I have to, at least for Intel, side with what the Asus guy said about stress testing IB. Again, OP is on AMD so that may be different. :thup:
Yes, it does test more instruction sets. You're right. But the instruction sets being tested/bias of FP/Int lean toward "easy" for Bulldozer. I'm not sure what they are right now, but I would have to guess that they lean toward integer with the new instruction sets.

I was unaware that you tested AIDA64 / LinX / IBT / P95 on Bulldozer ;) which is what we are discussing here.

AIDA is fine on Intel, at least it was for my 2600K and so was LinX.

Hi "Mandrake"

I'm curious to know what the stock VID is for your chip?

You can find it by setting BIOS to "optimized defaults" and then go into Windows and click the "Save Report .TXT" button located in the lower left of the CPUZ About tab.

It will look something like this:

# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (21.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0B - IDD 13 (20.50x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0E - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.375 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x16 - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.275 V)
P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x1F - IDD 8 (14.00x - 1.162 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x29 - IDD 5 (10.50x - 1.037 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x33 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.912 V)

The P-State FID 0x18 equals the stock (20x200) 4.0GHz VID...

At BeepBeep, I meant to say that with my 955 the temps using Prime 95 vs AIDA64 were higher.

So it failed at the 54 min mark I'm going to try and bump the v core a little bit and see how it goes.

Anyhow PolRoger is this the info you need? What is the stock FSB on these things? It's set at 216 when set at default?

Attachments

• MIKE-PC.txt
    114 KB · Views: 50
Anyhow PolRoger is this the info you need?

Yes that is it :thup:... and it shows your chip is 1.325v vs. mine which is 1.375v. I would expect your chip to clock higher then mine if both were running the same ~vcore (provided that both chips had their temps under control).

Well so 4.7 is my limit, It keeps locking up at the 54 min mark on AIDA64. I may need to give it more V Core. I'm going to leave it at 4.7 for now and use it and work on it tomorrow.

Newest update, 4.8 2 hr AIDA64. Still cannot run Prime though even at stock clocks? Max temps on the CPU was 52c not 99c

Attachments

• cpuz 4856 2hr stable.PNG
    cpuz 4856 2hr stable.PNG
    46 KB · Views: 141
  • HW Mon 4856 on 8350 2 hours.PNG
    HW Mon 4856 on 8350 2 hours.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 146
  • aida 8350 4.856 2hr.PNG
    aida 8350 4.856 2hr.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 143
Well mine arived this aft .....

# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (21.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0B - IDD 13 (20.50x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x11 - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.337 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x19 - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.237 V)
P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x21 - IDD 8 (14.00x - 1.137 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x2B - IDD 5 (10.50x - 1.012 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x35 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.887 V)

I have to disagree...Prime95 ver27.7 tests all the new extensions the same as AIDA64 and puts a heavier load on the cpu as well as ram (if using blend).
I've seen that Asus video and it seemed to be an AIDA64 Extreme endorsed review or whatnot. Not saying it's not a nice and fun application to use, but Prime95 blend with 90% of your ram size allocated should be more than adequate for heavy load stability testing. (note the heavy load part...ligher loads if using variable vcore can be unstable even if you tested your oc's vcore thoroughly)
IBT is ligher and can pass with an unstable OC like AIDA64...though it displays your highest possible temps.

EDIT: You gotta run p95 blend for 18hs to run all the tests, unless you change the test duration to 5 min, that would cut the time to 6hs.

Last edited:
Another good trick for cpu only stability on the run is a custom test I use for Intel systems, not sure it'll work the same with AMD:

-Custom
-FFT min and max size = 36k
-Run FFT's in place

Thanks Ivan, now if I can only get Prime to run without hard-locking the second I hit start I'll run it..

Bassnut sweet, which one did you get?

Well ... Pushing 4815MHZ now and only 42*C on load with Prime. By the looks of things these Piledriver Chips OC very similar to the Bulldozer Chips.

Hey Bass I'd be more then happy if you posted some SS of your settings. I'm still trying to get a feel for what these FX chips like. I'd like to see if one of us can get to 5. I'll probably work on mine more on Monday, weekends are tough for me to find free time.

I'm waiting to see what they will do on average on air and if there is any difference between the FX-8350 and FX8320

Hey Mandrake .... I bought the FX 8350. sorry I didnt get back to you last night. My girlfriend is down and I was jumping back and forth from the livingroom to here. I was stable @446MHZ last night and then pushing 4985 MHZ ish but getting ILLEGAL SUM OUT errors before I hit the sack early last night ..... it was a long week. Damed if I can remember my settings for 4800MHZ but as soon as I find it I will post a screen shot or two. I might just start this all over again today as I have the day to myself.

Attachments

• 4845 FX 8350.png
    4845 FX 8350.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
4.85Ghz is not too shabby at all 'bassnut' man. RGone...ster.

EDIT:
I just downloaded the zip file and it is still 1.61.3. Crapolo.
END EDIT.

Hey Mandrake .... I bought the FX 8350. sorry I didnt get back to you last night. My girlfriend is down and I was jumping back and forth from the livingroom to here. I was stable @446MHZ last night and then pushing 4985 MHZ ish but getting ILLEGAL SUM OUT errors before I hit the sack early last night ..... it was a long week. Damed if I can remember my settings for 4800MHZ but as soon as I find it I will post a screen shot or two. I might just start this all over again today as I have the day to myself.

Last edited:
Back