• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Received(RX) Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Hey guys.

It's been almost a month since I set my Dlink DIR-601 (running DD-wrt) to client bridge mode to allow stronger wi-fi signal (I'm hard wired into that DIR-601 now thought) and still to this day I have this annoying issue with the Received packets.

I assume they are being dropped, as 192.168.0.1 (my gateway) becomes "unreachable" thus cutting me and my brother off from the internet.

And yet, anything on the other side of the wi-fi bridge can ping my computer without failure. No connection issues at all.

I have 3 devices in my LAN, the Satellite gateway, the Bell "Turbo Hub" (Netgear MBR1210) and my Dlink DIR-601.

The gateway is connected to the Turbo-hub which then wirelessly connects to my Dlink router which I am wired into.

Has anyone had experience in troubleshooting this kind of issue?
I already asked in the dd-wrt forums, but... they were pretty much next to useless. I there is a newer build for my router, but things went screwy with routing loops after I flashed it :-/ So I reverted back to the stable build.
Thanks guys :)

How often does it happen?

Anything different happening on the network when it happens? (Big download, computer connects, etc)

Is it possible to put a computer wired directly to the gateway or Turbo-hub and get a ping going to the gateway? Bypass the wireless connection to see if the gateway is going down or if it's an issue with the wireless.

Is the Dlink giving out DHCP? If I remember correctly, having two routers on the same network can cause issues if they're both handing out ip addresses.

How often does it happen?

Anything different happening on the network when it happens? (Big download, computer connects, etc)

Is it possible to put a computer wired directly to the gateway or Turbo-hub and get a ping going to the gateway? Bypass the wireless connection to see if the gateway is going down or if it's an issue with the wireless.

Is the Dlink giving out DHCP? If I remember correctly, having two routers on the same network can cause issues if they're both handing out ip addresses.

Happens quite often, almost every minute.

The network could be empty and the pings to the other side will still fail.

I have wired my laptop and pings for 10 minutes just fine. Same deal if I connect via wi-fi :-/

AFAIK, the Netgear is handing out DHCP, even then I'm using a static IP I set on my rig. (Windows 7 SP1)

I changed my ACK timing to "0" , no difference.
Also, my antenna power is set to 7dBm, the highest I can set is 17dBm is that makes a difference here.

To make sure I'm understanding it correctly, your network is: Gateway -> Turbo-hub(A) ->(Wireless)->Dlink->Computers(B)?

When it happens computer (B) cannot ping the gateway, but (A) can ping the gateway and (B)?

What version of DD-wrt is the Dlink running?

To make sure I'm understanding it correctly, your network is: Gateway -> Turbo-hub(A) ->(Wireless)->Dlink->Computers(B)?

When it happens computer (B) cannot ping the gateway, but (A) can ping the gateway and (B)?

What version of DD-wrt is the Dlink running?

Correct.

Running: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std (SVN revision 21061)

:bump: !

Because this is getting ridiculous.
I don't understand how my Dlink "forgets" where the other router is even though it's always wirelessly connected. -_-

Don't know the interface, but in the Dlink config page is there a way to ping from it? Set it up to the router and see if the Dlink loses connection or just kicks off the clients connected to it.

Don't know the interface, but in the Dlink config page is there a way to ping from it? Set it up to the router and see if the Dlink loses connection or just kicks off the clients connected to it.

Okay, telnetting in and pinging the other router now...
Let's see what happens ;)

:mad:

Not a single "destination net unreachable" error yet.
Weird... It seems for now, that it's stable.

I will of course, post back when it happens again.
I'm thinking it's the dd-wrt firmware itself, I've read that it's kinda buggy on atheros chips, which my Dlink has.

Scared it into submission. :p
Computers connected to it staying connected just fine as well?

That would be the next thing to try if possible. Swapping out the Dlink.

Scared it into submission. :p
Computers connected to it staying connected just fine as well?

That would be the next thing to try if possible. Swapping out the Dlink.

Computers are fine, I can always ping the Dlink and the other computer without any drops.

I don't have another router to switch it out with :-/

Perhaps I can flash the newest DD-WRT build to it, or try this "WDS" the wiki talks about. :shrug:

Okay, I got some timeout errors, but the Dlink was still pining the other router just fine...

I dunno, that just sounds weird :-/

GOT IT!

The Dlink Router running DD-WRT DOES LOOSE connection to the other router!
There are packets being dropped.

Pings.PNG

Soooo any ideas?
I blame the other router. Because it is from Bell, and they suck balllllzzzzzz

Looks like the Dlink is on the left, what is pinging on the right?

Looks like the Dlink is issuing DHCP. Ping from it is going to a 192.168.0.X, ping on the right is going to a 192.168.1.X. Might not solve your problem, but would clean up the network to turn off DHCP on the Dlink and give it a static IP (192.168.0.2 for example).

Possible solutions found online:
Reflash the firmware
Turn down Tx power
Check with bridging type you're in

its a thing with dd wrt and bridge modes , this happens if the wireless signal is interrupted even for a second , then the dd wrt fails to reconnect and requires rebooting , its a known fault with no resolution over a year or 2 i have known about it
Post was from 2009 using v24-sp1, may have been fixed by now? :shrug:

Looks like the Dlink is on the left, what is pinging on the right?

Looks like the Dlink is issuing DHCP. Ping from it is going to a 192.168.0.X, ping on the right is going to a 192.168.1.X. Might not solve your problem, but would clean up the network to turn off DHCP on the Dlink and give it a static IP (192.168.0.2 for example).

Possible solutions found online:
Reflash the firmware
Turn down Tx power
Check with bridging type you're in

Post was from 2009 using v24-sp1, may have been fixed by now? :shrug:
I don't have that issue, no reboot needed here.

The Putty terminal is the Dlink pining the other router (192.168.1.1) the Dlink is static, 192.168.1.2, and should be forwarding all DHCP messages to the other netgear router.

The CMD prompt is my computer, pining the gateway (192.168.0.1) which is directly connected to the Netgear (192.168.1.1 remember)

I had Tx power down to 5Dbm, and throughput dropped to wireless B speeds, so I bumped it back up.

The Dlink is is "Wireless bridge mode (Client)"... I've read mixed reports that it's quirky and WDS should be used instead? :confused:

I think I'll browse Brainslayer's folders on the DD-WRT site for the lastest beta build soon. See what happens there.

Bumping to let you guys know I just flashed to the latest DD-WRT build.

If I don't post any issues, then it probably works :p
I'll post later on sometime to let you know if the flash fixed it.

EDIT: I will also add, that I followedthis guide this time. So far, no issues :thup:
We will see if it holds.

Last edited:
Back