• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me a good DVD-ROM Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

Here are my current system specs:
Case: MAXTOP Signature CSX-147K2F
CPU: Desktop Barton 2500 333 MHZ FSB w/stock HSF running at stock speed
Mobo: Soltek NFORCE2 SL-75MRN-L
RAM: 512MB (2X256MB) PC3200 Corsair XMS
PSU: SPARKLE FSP350-60BT 350W
Vid. Card: Radeon 9500 softmodded@9700
Drives: Generic 16X DVD Drive, NEC 2500A DVD-RW/+RW, 120GB Western Digital 8 MB cache version

I am currently using a crappy Artec GHM-48; it doesn't work half the time forcing me to use my NEC Burner as my primary read n'rip drive. I'd prefer not to wear the laser out with tasks like that. I want a DVD-ROM drive that runs quiet, has fast rip/play speeds, good seek times, and is known for reliablity for all manner of DVDs and CDs. Will this fit the bill?:Samsung Beige TS-H352A

Oh yeah, price: Under $30 w/shipping if possible. But if I have to pay more for quality, than I will.

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

Last edited:
Yup. When buying drives, I tend to try to look for name brands (pioneer, lg, samsung, ect) and they are all pretty much the same thing.

I've had good experiences with Samsung drives, I would think that drive should work just fine for what you are doing.

I just have my LG DVD-RW drive in my system and use it to read/write everything for ever a year now with no issues, I wouldn't worry about wearing it out.

JDXNC said:
I've had good experiences with Samsung drives, I would think that drive should work just fine for what you are doing.

I just have my LG DVD-RW drive in my system and use it to read/write everything for ever a year now with no issues, I wouldn't worry about wearing it out.

My writer has terrible (4X) rip speeds. I don't like using it for playback either.

I'm happy with my LG drive. It reads all without problem. It is a good reader, that's for sure.

i believe i have the same samsung dvd-rom, drive but in black. it's never given me any problems, and it runs fairly quiet.

goldenlight said:
I like the lite-on drives. No frils drive

Several people on other forums have also suggested Lite-on drives. From what I've read they're pretty much the fastest DVD-ROMs you can buy. But are they quiet drives? What model Lite-on drive should I look for?

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

Any drives from a respectable brand name like NEC, Pioneer, Sony should be fine so try to find the cheapest one from them. I think the LiteOn's are good drives but I seem to remember reading on the forums a while ago that they were quite noisy. That might have only been burners as opposed to DVD-ROM. But I would be careful if you are worried about noise.

Back