• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me a laptop cooling pad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just made a post about my new cooler. Here's the thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=601886

I got the Zalman ZM-NC1000 cooling pad. It's all aluminum and very solid. It has two fans with adjustable speeds. It dropped my idle temps by a good 10 degrees. My GPU runs in the low 70s now while gaming, but this is with an overclocked 8600m GT. If your laptop is larger than 15.4" you'd probably want to get the larger Zalman, as mine already hangs over about 1/2 on either side. Still works great for me.

Right now idling my temps are as follows:
CPU 30~31
GPU 54~55
HDD 35~36

Without the pad I was getting:
CPU 42~43
GPU 66~67
HDD 43~44

Haven't really tested my load temps too much, but I maxed out at 74C playing CSS at 1440x900 with the GPU overclocked, and before I had the pad I was hitting 80C with the GPU at stock.

Edit: I just turned the fans off completely, and in a matter of moments the CPU jumped up to 43 and the GPU hit 65.

Last edited:
The interesting thing with the Zalman cooler is that the fans don't blow directly into the bottom of the laptop like most coolers do. The top surface just has a bunch of vent holes so the cool air is distributed evenly across the bottom of the computer. At first I thought this wouldn't work as well, but after using it I think it's actually better. This way my HDD and my RAM get cooled in addition to the CPU/GPU. Also, if you have a high speed fan blowing into the intake vent of your CPU heatsink, a lot of that air probably doesn't even touch the heatsink fins if the heatsink fan is not creating suction to pull the cool air through the machine. With desktops, the fans pushing air out of the case are the most important ones, and I don't see how laptops would be any different.

I use the NZXT Cryo LX. It has three fans, USB ports, and can operate of on USB or AC power. It also has the fans in the back where they match up perfectly with my fans on my M17x R2. Definately check it out. It's very sturdy. Excellent for use on a desk, and adds a nice angle to the laptop. I love it. It's sold on newegg.com so have a look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=cryo+nzxt

EDIT: I'm late to the party, didn't see that this was so old :eek:

Back