• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for a new board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts

Looking for a new motherboard that won't break the bank.
I'm looking use an FX-8320e I've got. Chip was running at 4.5 ghz before the old board went "poof" (Gigabyte 970A-UD3P) Currently the chip is running stock on a Gigabyte 970A-DS3, anything over stock and throttling starts. I believe the chip is pulling to much power for the board.

I don't need a pile of options, rig is used for a DC cruncher. Thus, 24/7-100% load. It does need at least 1 PCIE slot for a gpu (f@h)

I'm a little gun shy of a Gigabyte, Newegg reviews (FWIW) seem to indicate a fairly substantial failure rate. (though not ruled out completely)
While the UD3P ran, it ran well...

My problem, other than basic ignorance, is which one to choose.
Replace with another UD3P, the Asus 970 pro gaming (I did read the review), or maybe something along the 990 chipset?

I do know now that extra cooling is required for the mosfet area.

For the price of the ASUS PRO I don't think you can beat it and you're right Giga hasn't been doing themselves any favours.

Thank you,
What I was trying to avoid buyers remorse (and another "popped" board). I haven't kept up on the latest and greatest, least of all on the AMD side. Putting up the coin for a Sabertooth isn't a problem, if needed. Though for my uses, it seems like major overkill.

If you aren't overclocking, I love my board and they are around $120 ATM. It's a solid board. I wouldn't buy a Giga board for AM3+ if they were $10 each. My $.02.

Overclocking may have been the reason the UD3P went "poof". That and 24/7 loading.
The 2 AMD Gigabyte boards I have were purchased in the classies and ran as they were supposed to. That said, I have learned my lesson with the AM3+ Giga boards. Too bad, got a pair of socket 775 Giga boards that still run fine. Haven't used Asus since the Pentium D days.

Alaric, I'm chuckling at your sig as this is going in a 10 yr old CM Centurion case. My radiator sits on top of the case.

LOL. I had to cut the side panel to mount the AIO rad there. Gigabyte generally makes good boards as far as I know. My fears come from the inconsistency of their AM3+ boards over the last few years. Being poor, I just can't afford the gamble. And I scare easy. I don't at all think Giga boards are "bad", but having an AM3+ chip makes me a little gun shy. On stock settings I don't know of any issues with them, but hanging out here doesn't give me much opportunity to see anything running at stock settings. :)

I did order up the Asus Pro. I was leaning that way anyway.
Flog it Stock. com this isn't. I think my MP rigs are stock, that's it. I don't think Giga is all bad, Newegg reviews and posts here just left me a little gun shy also. I was also leary as reports don't seem that their Customer Service is what it used to be...

One of the voices in my head keeps whispering "remember Epox"?

Back