• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for new gaming pc (cpu/mobo and monitor particularly)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Medicated

So, time for me to build a new machine. Will primarily be a gaming machine, but I will also likely be running a Plex server on it.

Looking at getting a GTX 1080 and a 4k monitor and need some help with the specifics.

For the CPU, would it be worthwhile to wait for the Broadwell-E release since apparently Intel is making 4 versions, two of which will be on the cheaper end ($400-$600) or should I just go with a 6700/6700k?
Any recommendations for which mobo to go with(obviously depends on CPU and I would prefer one that supported DDR4)?
I am also looking at getting an M.2 SSD for the system drive. Looking at the Samsung 512GB right now. And I will also be getting a standard HDD for extra storage.
PSU suggestions? Keep in mind I will almost certainly not be adding any other big power draw components(would just upgrade rather than going SLI and I have a NAS, so I won't need more HDDs).

My other question is the monitor. I definitely want a 4k monitor, but the issue is that I want one in the 30"-34" range and the options there seem very limited. I have tried a 37" 4k monitor at work and it is just too big to use. For me, 32" or 34" seems to be the sweet spot. The cheaper Asian brands (like Yamakasi and Wasabi Mango seem to only have 28" and then 40" or larger). Given this, I have it down to these 4, but would be open to other options:
Dell UP3216Q
Acer Predator XB321HK
Samsung U32E850R
BenQ BL3201PH
Currently leaning towards the Acer Predator, but can certainly be convinced otherwise. The BenQ has the benefit of being ~$300 cheaper, though it only has HDMI 1.2. That shouldn't matter as I can just use display port.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are going to run Plex, I'd go for a higher core count than a 6700...like a 5820K.

If you are gaming, and the Plex server has to transcode at the same time...either the transcode or the game will suffer.

With my 5820K, I can run Folding@Home on 8 threads and run any game without any issues.

I doubt youd complain about ANY of those monitors, and spec wise, they are pretty damn similar. I'd go with the cheapest and call it a day. The dell and acer are great monitors, but you are paying quite a bit for a "name" as well. The dell is optimized more for work flow with color correction and video editing work, and the predator is more "gaming centric".

Since youre doing server stuff, x99 might be a better platform than z170. The 5960x has 16 threads which would be viable for server operations.

That is why I mentioned the Broadwell-E chips. They will be x99 and the 6800K will have 6 cores and supposedly be priced ~$450. I will definitely consider the 5820K also (the 5960x is a little bit more than I want to spend on a CPU).

As to the monitors, The one thing I like about Dell is that I have only heard good things about their warranty support and customer service (at least in regards to the UltraSharp monitors). I've personally had good experiences with Acer's customer service and the monitor being a little more "gaming centric" is what has me leaning towards that.

Thanks again for the responses.

That is why I mentioned the Broadwell-E chips. They will be x99 and the 6800K will have 6 cores and supposedly be priced ~$450. I will definitely consider the 5820K also (the 5960x is a little bit more than I want to spend on a CPU).

As to the monitors, The one thing I like about Dell is that I have only heard good things about their warranty support and customer service (at least in regards to the UltraSharp monitors). I've personally had good experiences with Acer's customer service and the monitor being a little more "gaming centric" is what has me leaning towards that.

Thanks again for the responses.

Sounds like you know what youre getting then :) Should be a sweet build!

Back