• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations on higher end Sound card. $150 - $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobModder

Registered
I currently have a Logitech 5.1 Speaker System and a Razer Tiamat 7.1.

Right now I have the Razer Tiamat plugged into my onboard motherboard audio and the Logitech plugged into the converter Razer Supplies. The sound for the headset is pretty decent but I'm wondering if I could get better 7.1 if I removed the converter and ran the Tiamat off a higher end sound card. Would I notice much of a difference? My Birthday is next month so this along with a DXRacer Chair are what I'm looking at getting. If there are other computer components I should look at by all means recommend. If I'd notice a difference in sound quality what card would you recommend. I'm looking for anywhere between $150 - $200. I'd order the Oclus Rift VR but I'm not a developer so I think its best I wait until the consumer version comes out.

depending on the games that you play, etc, the money could be better spent on an upgrade to the aging gtx560 that you have. I don't think you would notice a huge difference over the onboard sound, unless you are missing features.

I'm currently in the process of doing headset reviews and picked up an Asus Xonar DX for about $60 so that I had access to the Dolby Live! and Dolby Headphones codecs to better simulate surround sound. If your onboard already offers that I don't think I would spend the money unless you are currently missing things.

I meant to update my sig. I've got a 760 now. I mainly play GTA 5 and WoW for the most part. Mainly trying to find things I can tell people when they ask what I want lol.

My opinion, but all things considered... I would upgrade that headset to something with better sound quality if you are looking at the possibility of sound card upgrade. A quality pair of headphones for around $60 - $130 would offer you a better all-around sound quality than wasting money on a sound card for something like a Razer headset.

(Or of course, going with a Sennheiser PC350/360/G4ME headset to have one of the absolute best headsets on current the market and then upgrade the sound card down the road to a Creative Z series or ASUS Xonar series)

Btw, if all you are worried about is 7.1, both Creative and ASUS offer that same simulated 7.1 in different packages as far as sound cards go. And of course Razer has the RazerSurround, though I'm not sure if that's free anymore(I would assume so for you considering you own one of their products).

My opinion, it's a waste of time to buy a sound card with the speakers/headset that you have.

if youre just using a headset dont bother with a sound card. If youre getting a higher end set of headphones with 64+ ohm impedance and dont want to an amp on your desk or area getting a soundcard with an onboard amp is a viable solution. Asus DG line for 25-30 has such amps along with the phoebus (which is no longer in production but you can still find it to buy) and STX line which can both power up 600 ohm headphones.

Back