• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended pump for Chillers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I know that for regular watercooling Iwaki's are great pumps. But what about for chilled water cooling? Are there any highly recommended submersible pumps? :shrug:

I use an Eheim 1250 myself, but for pure performance, there might be slightly better options.

Yeah about 300 GPH is correct. It more than suffices, IMHO for a simple loop with two blocks, which I run. Then again, I'm sort of an old school guy, and haven't been paying attention to the newer pumps at all really. I just went for what I always knew to have the best quality in the market and the best noise level. It just plugs into the wall socket, nothing fancy. I keep it on 24/7, no relays or anything, which is what they're designed for. The 1250 is next to silent. I know everyone says this, but it's true, I really can't tell when its on.

anything with higher flow rates could be used with a bypass at the blocks I would think..

I would personaly go with an external and insulate the pump (not the motor)

this depends on what your calling a chiller? are you going to be needed to running a denatured alchol from the temps, if so a sumbersable might not be the best solution, being why I would go external.
if your at or above ambiant (running water) then maybe a submersable wouldnt be too bad..

Would the 1060 be a good choice? I am not trying to buy something because "it has bigger numbers(gph)". I just like the bonus of the 10' head height. Any feedback on this unit?

The general consensus with the 1060 is that it's too much pump for general use. The amount of heat it dumps into your loop would offset the performance gain from slightly increased flow.

Hrmm...a chiller isn't exactly "general use"...:p...my unloaded/loaded water temperatures are virtually equal. A degree and a half tops...depends on the chiller, but a simple A/C, which I'm using, is designed for a ludicrously high heatload, 22 extra watts won't do a thing. But it depends on the compressor, refrigerant and cap tube you're planning to use.

It might not be a bad idea to post this in the general water cooling section too and see what their opinions are. I haven't kept myself up to date on pumps whatsoever. Perhaps someone who has could pipe in. :)

Someone is actually building the chiller for me. I'll post the answers as soon as I receive them.

Gautam said:
Why is this? I use a mix of denatured alcohol and methanol...-35C and below, submerged.

I said might not be the best solution right?
good deal..
I have read quite a few threads on chillers and had yet to collect good data on submersible pump life.. If its good for the long hall and its not so powerfull as to create too much extra heat then sure it should work.
How long has your submersible been running in the cold and how many watts is the pump? just currious.. :D

Eheim 1250, specs are listed up on that website, 1200 l/h (317GPH), 28W. I ran at subzero temperatures for about a week straight, so I guess I don't have any long-term data for you. Though I've read of plenty of others using the same pump under similar conditions, probably for longer.

Idunno about sub-zero operation, but in normal conditions she's a powerful pump and she is dead silent. It makes no sound whatsoever once you have a pure fluid loop (i.e. air is completely out, she makes some noise with air bubbles, but all pumps do). She does vibrate pretty well though. :p

Back