• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended USB or PCI Wireless N adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hi, guys,

I'm looking for a wireless 802.11N adapter for my desktop. Needs to be compatible with 64-bit windows (XP, Vista, 7) and Linux. Needs to be available in the UK.

Alternatively, if you can suggest a piece of equipment for connecting multiple ethernet devices to my existing wireless network (a wireless bridge? a wireless "gaming adapter"?) at 802.11n speeds, I'd greatly appreciate that as well. I suppose the benefit would be the transparency to Windows and Linux, as it would just look like an ethernet connection.

In that alternative, the connection would be:

master phone socket <->
BT home hub 2.0 (with wireless 802.11b/g/n network) <->
through the air <->
[as yet undetermined device in separate room from router] <->
PC on 10/10/1000 Ethernet, maybe print server

Thanks!! - Paul

D-Link RangeBooster DWA547 Wireless-N PCI Network Adapter and I have to say it's been the hardest thing to install. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119362
The drivers it comes with don't support W7 and the ones you download put a piece of software on your pooter that really messes everything up.
After 5 weeks I got it to work and it's been pretty smooth sailing. After installing the drivers and not the software it finally worked (oh and I had to flash my bios as well). Just plug in and play after installing a whole load of crap :D. The range is pretty bad so I had to use an expander.
I would recommend it if you want a challenge to install it and your < 10m away from the router. I can't vouch for linux but XP worked flawlessly, Vista didn't work at all and W7 worked after hours of work.

Hopefully this has helped somehow :)

"They have Ralink chipsets" says it all :) Drivers for Windows 2000, 32- and 64-bit for XP Vista and 7, Linux, and OS X.

Awesome! It sounds like it's worth a few days' wait to order one online. I can't seem to find it in a local store. :-( But thanks for the tip!

Awesome, guys.

I ordered the WUSB600N from ebuyer. It should arrive by noon tomorrow, shipped price under 37 GBP. :) Just in the nick of time, too, as I need to ship my laptop back to Texas very soon.

Thanks again for the tips! -- Paul

Back