• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rediculous CPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It depends in your room temp, so, dont blame us if you are in a hot room, because I am at around 90f in my room, and for so my cpu temp is like 47c idle and 54c load (with a volcano 12). There are other whose room temp runs at around 15c and have great air flow inside the case, they can get 35c if they want.

Dont be mad about having a hot room :p just put watercooling.

My full load temperature is 30°C using the stock heatsink, and a hamster powered cpu fan. The only problem is the hamster dung and urine shorts out my agp card every now and then, and it stinks like hell. My roommate has threatened to hurl my computer out the window. Does anyone know any possible alternatives to the hamster like a mole or gerbil? I appreciate any input.

a hot room will get you hot temps with wcing too...its still dependent on the ambient temp. lowest ive seen my room is 15C with the window open when its really cold out....and then i get a 25 - 26C load. when i come home i open the window to get the hot air out and i leave it open until my feet cant stand the cold anymore (usually around 8 or 9). then i open it for a while later one when the room gets really hot again (my system chugs out a lot of heat). anyway, like said above, with "normal" room temps, i still see a load of 33-35C. its not false readings (its not dead on, but its close because its not warm or cold when i touch it, same as my hands which are usually cool compared to the temp in your mouth (98F)....

what was the point again?

running 32c idle 42 load on 3.0 oc to 3.8 ghz...

btw if you cant spell ridiculous..you look ridiculous...point is moot....

Neeseius said:

If they are running mid 50s now then obviously b4 was a temp misread, temps dont change that dramatically over time

Unless of course, I significantly increased the voltage...

Neeseius said:

The truth is stock cooling with avg room temps will get you 50c-55c, depending on where u live and whats avg for your room. If its nice and cool then you will probably get 45c-50c with stock cooling. With a good HSF you can get down to 39c idle, but ur room must be cold. Remember ppl, if your saying you get 35c idle with ur air cooling solution and avg room temps then your lying, thats just rediculous, if thats what it says then you have a temp misreadings. There is only so much you can do with air cooling and nething below 39c with air cooling is just stupid unless your room temp is 50F.

I don't mind being wrong. But I feel there is an error in the 39c unless my room is 50f which is only 10c.

I am not going to make this easy I have re-written this 2 times and decided for the thread starter with the rant to figure this out him self because I Think he is WRONG.

Processor 100watts of heat at 100% load

Room temp 72f or 22.5c

Heat sink Thermalright SLK900: 0.22C/W

idle be high and say 50 watts of heat applied.
I am saying we are at 33.5 idle with the above numbers. In a room of 22.5c

If my room is 10c I will "idle" at 21c all day long max...(IF I PUT 50WATTS OF HEAT INTO THE HEATSINK AT IDLE)
I say this to give you some help in figuring out your possible error...Or correcting me and teaching me and others something we could really benifit from.....

Last edited:
I have my window open, its about 70 degrees fahrenheit Gustav, not celsius. My processor is at idle 42c with a full blast (5500RPM) 80mm fan blowing at 72CFM. Now if I had an SP-97 instead of my decent Aerocool, i could get about 38c out of it.

Now on the other hand, one hour ago my window was closed and it was about 78 fahrenheit in my room. That little of a temp change threw my temps from 48c to 42c, 6c is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference, all because of the air temperature in my room.

So like I said, unless you have your window open on a cool day, or the air is way down, and you have an SP-94 or equivalent, great case airflow, and an 80 or 92mm fan blowing on your processor, then your not going to get no 40c load out of your system.

Also I got that new card fan from newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-888-112&depa=1 and I must say its outstanding! I went from 68c idle 70c load on my 9800XT to 60c idle and 62c load! It works so good on my system cuz I have an 80mm fan on the side directed at the vid card, plus the fan under it is blowing all that nice cool air on it :)

Comparing cpu temps from one machine to another is mildly rediculous :)D) in itself.
As all who have posted in here are aware, the variables of sensor, bios code and pure hardware variation make computer temperature figures notoriously inaccurate.

Even if all the hard/software were exactly correct it is fairly simple to adjust the reported temps in most of the popular monitoring software via "error correction"- and this makes screenshots useless if someone is trying to "prove" their temp claims.

Yet most of us DO compare temps at one time or another.....Why?

Because we put a lot of effort and sometimes money into optimizing our cooling schemes and are often pretty proud of what we see. :)
- Point is, the comparisons are NOT going to stop just because comparing temps is virtually useless.
I'm afraid you may have to get over it. ;)

But here is the thing: any time you see someone asking how their temps are, feel free to mention the inaccuracies and problems with temp comparisons.

Personally, I care not a whit about what my temps are as long as the system is stable.
And as long as when I am done modding and improving they go DOWN!!! :D

The main thing I use temp monitoring for (other then occasional bragging!) is to watch for drastic changes that indicate problems. It is a great tool for that purpose.

Re: Re: Rediculous CPU temps

diehrd said:

I don't mind being wrong. But I feel there is an error in the 39c unless my room is 50f which is only 10c.

I am not going to make this easy I have re-written this 2 times and decided for the thread starter with the rant to figure this out him self because I Think he is WRONG.

Processor 100watts of heat at 100% load

Room temp 72f or 22.5c

Heat sink Thermalright SLK900: 0.22C/W

idle be high and say 50 watts of heat applied.
I am saying we are at 33.5 idle with the above numbers. In a room of 22.5c

If my room is 10c I will "idle" at 21c all day long max...(IF I PUT 50WATTS OF HEAT INTO THE HEATSINK AT IDLE)
I say this to give you some help in figuring out your possible error...Or correcting me and teaching me and others something we could really benifit from.....

Thats nice im not going to get down the laws of cpu temperature physics... I started this thread because im sick of ppl posting temp problems, and having some idiot come and reply about his incredible temps, and that nething over 40c is too hot, and that his is so low and this and that, and everyone should have a cooling setup like him... i dispise it, thats all those little ****s gave me when I needed temp help, I thought for a long time that my CPU cooler sucked and my temps of 44c idle and 48c load were way hot cuz all these stupid ppl wanna tell you what they believe and not the facts. The fact is no one cares about your temps, they wanna know what is hot and what is not, they dont wanna know what you think is hot, they wanna know what "is" hot, and even 50c is not considered hot for a proccessor. I went as far as spending 40bucks on a new CPU cooler thinking that my temps were too hot only to find them a little hotter with the new HSF. I dont know why people are so obsessed with some numbers that describe the heat coming from your CPU when in actuallity its your experience that defines the stability of your CPU, not the temps, if they are high, and it works fine, then thats great, if they are low and they work fine, even better. And if having a temp obsession is your thing thats fine. But dont spread your obsessions with CPU numbers to innocent ppl who just want the facts. So if someone needs to know what hot, givem a link to AMDs website, dont givem ur opinion!

Re: Re: Re: Rediculous CPU temps

Neeseius said:

Thats nice im not going to get down the laws of cpu temperature physics... I started this thread because im sick of ppl posting temp problems, and having some idiot come and reply about his incredible temps, and that nething over 40c is too hot, and that his is so low and this and that, and everyone should have a cooling setup like him... i dispise it, thats all those little ****s gave me when I needed temp help, I thought for a long time that my CPU cooler sucked and my temps of 44c idle and 48c load were way hot cuz all these stupid ppl wanna tell you what they believe and not the facts. The fact is no one cares about your temps, they wanna know what is hot and what is not, they dont wanna know what you think is hot, they wanna know what "is" hot, and even 50c is not considered hot for a proccessor. I went as far as spending 40bucks on a new CPU cooler thinking that my temps were too hot only to find them a little hotter with the new HSF. I dont know why people are so upsessed with some numbers that describe the heat coming from your CPU when in actuallity its your experience that defines the stability of your CPU, not the temps, if they are high, and it works fine, then thats great, if they are low and they work fine, even better. And if having a temp obsession is your thing thats fine. But dont spread your obsessions with CPU numbers to innocent ppl who just want the facts. So if someone needs to know what hot, givem a link to AMDs website, dont givem ur opinion!

You need to relax,flaming the site and unknown members is senseless.Tahk a step back, do something else for a while and let it go.

I am sure tommrow this will be behind ya and maybe after you sleep on it you will see things differently.If not do us all a favor and keep threads like this one to your self....................

There was absolutly no gain of knowledge gleemed from this topic lol except to say learning cannot be done in a hostile enviroment..............................................................................

Well if it make u feel better, meh CPU is 53c* on load using a SP97 and a SF2 on full blast.

45.5-47 idle
50.5 - 53 load
27c* - 31c*case

1800XP
1.75v

PC is in the sig

Sentential said:
Well if it make u feel better, meh CPU is 53c* on load using a SP97 and a SF2 on full blast.

45.5-47 idle
50.5 - 53 load
27c* - 31c*case

1800XP
1.75v

PC is in the sig

The numbers are good because you are at 31c so the air you are feeding to the heat sink is very warm.I can give ya a tip that will knock off several degrees if ya want to do it ?

Use a direct DUCT so the heatsink fan gets all of it's air supply from out side the case. This makes the air temp hitting the heat sink room temp and a lot cooler then 31c.................And because you have a great sink I would guess at least 6c to 10c drop in temp ! ! ! :)

Probably a temperature misread. Happends all the time, sometimes u need to flash ur bios, or the temp reader was damaged during CPU installation. Common on Abits

I don't use an Abit. I run an MSI, and my load right now is 32C.

Sentential said:

45.5-47 idle
50.5 - 53 load
27c* - 31c*case

1800XP
1.75v

PC is in the sig

Actually im not even angry, ive been over it, for the past two hours ive been swapping the 9600xt from my dads into my brothers and putting a Ti4200 back into my dads, plus ive been lifting as well. I have all this energy so i might as well put it to the weights

julianba said:
My full load temperature is 30°C using the stock heatsink, and a hamster powered cpu fan. The only problem is the hamster dung and urine shorts out my agp card every now and then, and it stinks like hell. My roommate has threatened to hurl my computer out the window. Does anyone know any possible alternatives to the hamster like a mole or gerbil? I appreciate any input.

ROFL!! I'm glad that someone else sees the absurd in this! Might I suggest an african swallow? I understand that they can carry coconuts! :p

Then why did you even bother trying to make a point? All you're doing is being a troll. You come in here and start telling everyone their temps are wrong, and < 40C is impossible on air. How about you tell us how to get the correct temps, or why our temp readings are wrong instead of just doing this to get attention?

fletch said:
Then why did you even bother trying to make a point? All you're doing is being a troll. You come in here and start telling everyone their temps are wrong, and < 40C is impossible on air. How about you tell us how to get the correct temps, or why our temp readings are wrong instead of just doing this to get attention?

Sorry i dont feel like taking the time to explain to you why your post is immature and has absolutely nothing to do with what I said...

But you have time to post that? How is it immature that I want to have civil, constructive conversation?

fletch said:
But you have time to post that? How is it immature that I want to have civil, constructive conversation?

I dont recall telling everyone their temps are wrong. I simply stated that many are false temp readings, and that its stupid to post your temps in a topic thats not aimed towards your opinion.

Edit: on the other hand im sure you've seen post topics that say "Post CPU temps here" think about it...

Back