• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstall Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I have a laptop which has Windows 7 on it and want to reinstall the OS. The laptop never came with a Windows 7 disc, but it does have a COA sticker on the bottom.

Should I look around for a Windows 7 download and use the COA that the laptop came with?

They usually have a partition on the hard drive that you boot to (or press a specific key combination) that does the restore process. The key on the bottom won't activate.

The key on the bottom won't activate.

I disagree, I did it for 3 different laptops over the past couple of months. As far as I'm concern, when buying software, you are paying for the license and not the physical medium. So yeah go ahead load it with whatever physical copy you have on hand. Worse comes to worse you might have to call MS Activation. But that's no biggie either.

I don't like using the restore partition as I hate the bloatware that come with all laptops. First thing I do with a new laptop is remove the bloatware partition, download the drivers onto a USB key, install the OS, and only the programs that I want.

You would have to have the same install media as the key. Meaning, if you use an OEM key with a retail install, it probably isn't going to work. This may not apply to all computers, but I would not expect it to work.

you can download the disk from microsoft or take the laptop to any computer store and show them your license and they are legally able to make a disk and not charge or charge you for parts and labor of like 5$.

legally the key is what makes it legal, gl

You would have to have the same install media as the key. Meaning, if you use an OEM key with a retail install, it probably isn't going to work. This may not apply to all computers, but I would not expect it to work.

It will work, at least, with the ISO I have (dump from Microsoft P/N X17-58997), I can install my retail license, my sister's laptop OEM license, and my father's netbook OEM license. And, if it whines, just give Redmond a call.

I think this was a bigger problem with XP; my experience with Vista / 7 has been so long as you have a valid key & are installing the same version of Windows which the key is for, you will be fine - regardless of OEM/Retail/VLK. I've downloaded full installs off of TechNet which have worked no problem on multiple machines (using all valid license keys, of course).

Back