• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reliable USB Flash drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

I'm looking to buy some 8gb USB 3.0 flash drives. I'm wondering which brand/models are reliable? I've had a 32gb Patriot Supersonic Xpress die on me and just recently a Kingston DataTraveler 100G3 8GB

Is it just random that these things die or or get corrupted that you can't format/delete them from computer mngt etc?

I'd like to buy one for Memtest86 only (so I guess it can be 4gb or even less) and one for the OS (8gb)

Also curious what could be another option to see if I can format this Kingston drive. I've tried the computer mngt, Kingston format utility tool, CMD (there's no media in the device)

This seems to be the error I get...

I had no issues with Lexar flash drives. All I have are working, some for 4 years and I'm using them almost everyday. Can count maybe 16-20 different flash drives in last 4-5 years.
On the other hand these are only flash drives and flash memory can instantly die regardless how good it is. The same as SSD drives can just stop working without any warning.

I've had good luck with Sandisk flash drives. Several years on my current one with no issues, as well as the Lexars already mentioned. I lose them more than they break on me.

I've had good luck with Sandisk flash drives.
Add my vote for Sandisk. I've got a Chromebook running Ubuntu off a Sandisk Ultra Fit and also have one in wife's car for music and have not had problems with either. The Chromebook is tough duty for a USB drive since it's getting written frequently.

I've had good luck with Sandisk flash drives. Several years on my current one with no issues, as well as the Lexars already mentioned. I lose them more than they break on me.

I have 6 of the Sandisk Extreme 32gb-64gb (and managed to kill another 2), i can't find it now but the earlier models came with a warning from Sandisk to NEVER format them, or if you absolutely have to only a quick format, never full, never erase. Oddly enough it was a full erase that gave me my full speed back after a few months use :D

Sandisk Extreme 32gb.jpg

Try using command line and DISKPART to format it has worked for me on drives that I couldn't get to format in windows.

I tried that, nothing.
Just to be certain I hears correctly:

CMD > Diskpart > list disk

And there is no disk listed that is the size of your flash drive? If diskpart doesn't see it then you can see if a linux live disk can see it, but you are correct that its probably dead. Ive never had a USB drive die like that, but SD cards are another matter.

As to your question in the OP: Ive had good luck with Kingston and Lexar USB3. 0, and any cheap brand of USB 2.0 hasnt let me down either. To be fair though I dont use USB a whole lot

If you stick the pen in the USB and it doesn't show up at all (even in Device Manager), its dead, game over, bin it. Program that i use to troubleshoot misbehaving USB pens/HDD/SSD that also does full format/erase and SMART checks is "Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" or "DLGDiag", managed to rescue 2 pens that no other software would even recognize.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

If I put it into a usb slot it shows up but can't open/access it, can't format it, can't rename it, and yes I've tried list disk etc, it's there but size shows as 0 but it does show up in list disk.

Shows the Kingston drive but as you can see...no help. Thanks for the software though.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Try a full erase "write zeroes". Will take a bit of time though, let it run in the background.

It's firmware error. It sees flash drive but can't allocate usable space. I had the same on at least 2 flash drives and it's not possible to fix it. In this case support only said that they can replace the flash drive. For sure I had that with Zalman flash drive and it was SLC one. I don't remember what brand was other one but it wasn't Lexar or Sandisk. At work I stick to Sandisk as Lexar is barely available in local distribution. Never had any issues with Sandisk too.

It's really random. Some flash drives work couple of years without issues, some randomly die. The same is with SSD or flash cards. If you have any important data then always make backups, regardless what storage is in use.

Btw. these small Sandisk flash drives are pretty good. I bought couple of them for coleagues at work and so far there were no issues (over half year and are in use almost everyday).

Luckily, so far, I've had no issues with my SSD's, running 3 atm, even an old OCZ agility III, and two Samsung Evo's.

I do keep stuff backed up, learned my lesson the hard way, just need more usb flash drives for work etc.

Am I the only one that loses USB drives WAY before they would think of giving up the ghost ?

It seams like I need to pick one up every thing I need to do a reinstall ( only time I really use them ) .

Back