• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote desktop idle timeout limit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

When connecting with remote desktop, there's a very short idle time limit that often sees me getting kicked off. Is there any simple way that I can simulate keyboard input to prevent this from happening? I'm looking for something that I can run inside a VM since group policy prevents me from doing a lot of stuff on the host OS.

This is also a per user setting if depending on how active directory is set up.. don't know if that helps in this case, however.

One option I found very useful to replace the crappy mstsc.exe is terminals, royal terminals, and well, if you look for remote desktop managers, you will find a lot.

The good thing about these apps is that they have a lot of advanced options to control the behavior of the screen, plus you can have multiple sessions in a tabbed form like firefox or chorme but with rdp conns.

You could write a batch file to echo a keypress.

Could you help me out with that? I'm not good at .bat files!

This is also a per user setting if depending on how active directory is set up.. don't know if that helps in this case, however.

Unfortunately I don't have any admin privileges on the domain, and convincing a sysadmin to change the rules for me will be like trying to get blood out of a stone.

One option I found very useful to replace the crappy mstsc.exe is terminals, royal terminals, and well, if you look for remote desktop managers, you will find a lot.

The good thing about these apps is that they have a lot of advanced options to control the behavior of the screen, plus you can have multiple sessions in a tabbed form like firefox or chorme but with rdp conns.

Do I need any extra privileges on the domain for that to work?

If this is a GPO restriction that the admins put in place, trying to bypass that short limit sounds like a bad idea. They put them in place for a reason.

Making unauthorized changes to company systems or running unauthorized programs could be a Very Bad Thing, depending on where you work. Make an official complaint to your manager and work your way up to the chain. If it impacts your work day and is an actual hindrance to your job functions, they may be able to make an exception or change the rule. Otherwise, you might end up in hot water.

If this is a GPO restriction that the admins put in place, trying to bypass that short limit sounds like a bad idea. They put them in place for a reason.

I'm a student and I'm not intending to do anything malicious. While I'm working on projects, sometimes I have to minimize the VM to look up research material on my host OS, as the VMs do not have internet connectivity. The idle timeout limit is very short and it makes it difficult to do what I'm trying to achieve.

If I do get in trouble (which I highly doubt), then I will have no-one else to blame but myself and I certainly won't come on here crying about it. Running a simple script to increase the idle timeout is hardly a serious offence, and the network I will be remoting into is a small, separate network from the main campus.

I'm a student and I'm not intending to do anything malicious. While I'm working on projects, sometimes I have to minimize the VM to look up research material on my host OS, as the VMs do not have internet connectivity. The idle timeout limit is very short and it makes it difficult to do what I'm trying to achieve.

If I do get in trouble (which I highly doubt), then I will have no-one else to blame but myself and I certainly won't come on here crying about it. Running a simple script to increase the idle timeout is hardly a serious offence, and the network I will be remoting into is a small, separate network from the main campus.

Its going to be difficult to get around this, I'm afraid. I would see if you can explain your situation to the IT administration. They should be to help you out. Other than that, you are not going to have rights on the domain so I doubt anything will help.

Back