• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Gaming with a laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

College is coming up, and I am getting a shiney new Tablet PC :) Of course without paying big bucks you can't get one that can even run basic games. I have my super desktop though, and I was going to find a way to remotely stream and play my games from the Desktop to the Laptop/Tablet Hybrid. Now I am realistic, there will be no 1080p gaming here and I accept the input lag of around 1 second or so, and that the picture won't be perfect. I just want it to be possible :p I have seen some new things out there like splashtop that kinda do this but it seems to lack that "polish". You can easily tell they just didn't have gaming in mind. So do you guys know of anything that can accomplish this? Just looking for various solutions, they don't have to be perfect I can just try them out with my desktop and laptop to test them :)

Also, what is the big challenge with making software that can do this? I have seen many products that can remotely control a mouse or a keyboard that do not have a display of the screen (such as universal remote for android) and I have seen software that can stream 1080p video (such as WiDi). What is it about combining the two that causes the problem? I have heard it is because some do not support directX or 3D rendering, but can't they basiclly screen capture the entire display and send it as a video feed in stead? I know that would not be possible in 1080p and still difficult in 720p. If anyone had any more insight to how these programs work and why they are not capable of this task I would love to learn a lot more about it. There may be a solution that combines several products.

Thank you for your time :)

i would think one of the big hold ups would be that the games are rendered 3d mesh's and would have to be turned into some sort of video format like mkv,avi ect to be sent via wifi without having some crazy demand on your systems.

i have heard some pretty good things about splashtop but am yet to try it but im yet to hear of any good aps that will allow a descendent remote game play from your pc to your tablet even tho some of today's tablets are more powerful then original xboxs.

you might just want to get a tablet that can play some descent games the tegra 3 tablets already have some fantastic looking games on them.

I am not going to be getting a tablet, I am getting a tablet PC. So it is basicly a laptop with a touch screen :p

you might want to wait til win 8 comes out to get one,tho you could always upgrade to it later.

you might want to wait til win 8 comes out to get one,tho you could always upgrade to it later.
I was thinking so too. The current tablet/laptop type hybrids have pretty low specs. Windows 8 is more touch screen based so how much you wanna bet they will be making all sorts of new hybrid devices? I see ASUS is releasing one in december with dual 1080p screens on it with an i7 ivy bridge as well as discreate GPU, talk about power packed :) But anyways I am getting off topic here :p Anyone know any solutions to the problem or a little bit of how it works? I am here to learn as well as find a solution ;)

i just hope the ivy chip asus uses don't run as hot as the current ones do or that would be one hot tablet lol.

First of all, what you're talking about is pretty much RDC (Remote Desktop Connection). As far as I know, there is no RDC solution that is really feasible for gaming. It's simply network bandwidth/speed, you can't send that much information back and forth that fast.

What is the difference between streaming the desktop vs sereaming a game? If the home computer was doing all the calculations is a screen with an animated movie not the same as a video game?

What is the difference between streaming the desktop vs sereaming a game? If the home computer was doing all the calculations is a screen with an animated movie not the same as a video game?

There isn't a difference? RDC is just what it's called...it's basically anything that lets you remotely control another computer as if you were sitting in front of it...LogMeIn Ignition is an example.

But something like netflix or even WiDi is able to stream pretty flawlessly in 1080p, and all you are adding on to that are mouse a keyboard controls. Why does that cost you much more data, if you knew off hand?

WiDi is over an internal wireless network, RDC is over the internet.

Netflix probably has a whole building of passive servers, probably with a couple dedicated T1 lines straight to the ISP. Your "server" is just your desktop, which is probably trying to play the game at the same time.

plus netflix's may be sending a 1080p signal but the video quality is more like a 720 video stretched to 1080,its not even close to a true 1080 experience.

Darn, so this really just isn't possible? I thought with a powerful enough PC it would be. But it seems we just don't fast enough connections yet? I dream of the day when my home PC becomes my own personal OnLive :)

I see a future where a majority of people don't even own their own computers. Some big company will have thousands upon thousands of servers that people pay a small amount each month for remote acess to from any device with internet. Our phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops will all be cheap $50 systems and be connecting to a $3,000 rig :) Haha it will happen just you wait :p It will be like OnLive but with an entire computer! Heck maybe a little USB stick that you can just plug into any screen and it just connects it strait to your personal computer server, turning any computer you plug it into into your PC. You could carry your several thousand dollar rig around with you on your keychain :p It sounds far fetched now but when I was a kid I thought that a game could never look better then an N64 game. Now you can fit every N64 game that ever existed into a flash drive haha. But anyways this is just me ranting on like an old man now haha!

Back