• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing HSF from GF4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martindemon

I am presently voiding the warranty of my geforce4 by trying to get that heat sink off it but it is epoxied. I tried the freezer trick (put it in the freezer for 30 min. It was in 3 plastic bags, really hermetic, in it's anti static bag (1st bag is anti static...)
I tried it 2 times: i time 15 min freeze + 30 min warmup in ambiant = still glued. Tried 30min freeze + 30 min warmup = don't work...

Try leaving it in overnight and here's the tricky bit.....don't let it warm up again for so damn long......

Just leave it in for 15 minutes. Don't let it get warm, the whole point of putting it in the freezer is to make the epoxy frail.

Ok there will be condensation on the card when i put it out of the bag and it's still freezed; it will become humid. But letting it dry won't break it. Did i get it right?

Well, definitely won't harm the card unless you power it on with all the gas from the condensation still on it, you have to let it dry. You can wash electronics with water and have it still work but you just have to let it fully dry before putting it back in.

after washing

also after washing it to dry it quickly just throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Works great for spoons and aluminum foil also.

STOP! for the love of God im kidding! DONT DO THAT! Washing is fine... just dont put it back in the comp all soakin wet. :)

I used a hair dryer on my GF2 to soften the epoxy/tape, whatever it was. used a screwdriver covered in a washcloth (dry) to keep from scratching the traces, gave it a little turn (not pry up) and it just went pop and came off. A little mineral spirits on the chip to clean off the goop, cleaned that up with isopropl, slapped on a blorb and away I went...

My hsf popped right off with a little persuasion from a screw driver. Just use a flat head, poke it in a bit, then lever it up a little, should pop right off. Just be careful not to let the screw driver slip...

The best method I have used is the credit card screwdriver combo. You can do the freezer trick and try it but I have always just done it without doing that part. Just put a credit card between the HS and the video card and a flathead screwdriver between the HS and the credit card and just twist the screwdriver handle. It should pop the HS right off.

Back