• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing old thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocayush

heyy...I wanna remove my old thermal past as it became dry..:(.and wanna apply a new one...how should i do that??:confused: i hav a cooler master hyper 212 evo cpu cooler..tell me about thermal paste which i should use.:bang head

white spirit will clean that gunk right off. The best thermal paste at the moment is probably arctic mx-4. Unless you wana use colab liquid prob, but then you are pretty much welding your cpu cooler to your IHS ;)

okk..:) and as i have removed my old paste and applying the one...i wanna add a second fan in my 212evo...;) tell me about fans..a kickass fan.;)

Can i go for stock fans(xtra flow) come with hyper212 evo?? :) is it be good enough?? :/ and if it would'nt good..i'll go for Gentle typhoon...what u say?? ;)

Rubbing Alcohol is the ticket here. Cleans my bowling balls and my CPU's equally well.

Checkout the Rosewill 120mm red blade fans. They have fluid bearings and move >80cfm for under $10 even at full price. On sale they go for half that often on newegg. Love all of mine.

This could be your answer and a rough guide how to go about it as well. AJ. ;) :thup:

Just try to watch the video and it will get to where they clean off the old paste and with what you use. I have used the two products and they really work perfectly. Gave me a really clean surface to re-apply my new paste. :salute:

i used 90% rubbing alcohol & qtips. works perfect... costs $2 for enough qtips and rubbing alcohol to clean more electronic eq then you'll see in half a year working as a tech repairman.

Once you start using rubbing alcohol to clean anything though, you start to realize just how much stuff it works great on. For like 95 cents a bottle I don't know who is passing that up for the $10 junk they sell from the paste companies.

Every year or so I buy a bottle of 99% rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, works pretty good! I use as5 and it comes off right away.

At our shop we use medical alcohol wipes. they are small, leave nothing behind and you can pick them up at walmart for about a $1 a box.

Ive always had a bottle of alcohol around to clean things with. We use medical wipes at work like 1"x1-1/2" from bd biosciences

Back