• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repair Install of Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altar

Registered
i can't get the initial set-up screen to come up. As long as the CDROM is set as the first boot device, and the cd is in, should that be the first thing to come up? Instead the OS just comes up (though i can't log in) as usual.

To perform a repair install of XP...In the BIOS (normally under "Advanced BIOS Features Setup Menu"), configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM drive (make the CD-ROM drive the first boot device) | Insert the XP CD while in the BIOS, save settings (F10) and reboot - (You can also boot with a 98/Me bootdisk with CD support and run Winnt.exe...located in the I386 folder on the CD).

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the XP CD | When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed...do not select this option | On the XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement | Make sure that your current installation of XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair XP | Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

redduc900 said:
When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the XP CD |

So i think i did everything right. However, this message is not displayed.

Back