• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replace 8150 with 9590 or new board and cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vgerdj

I'm having heat sensor issues. Box - MSI990FX n 8150 - starts and checking bios temp is 65 and increases 1deg about every 5sec. Auto shuts down 89-90deg. Do I replace the 8150 with 8350 or 9590, or get an FX+ board and cpu? Is it most likely the cpu sensor? Is the 9590 too old?

Do you know which temp is shutting you down? Is it possible to get a SS of HWMonitor free before it shuts off? BTW don't get a 9590 not worth the premium or headaches associated with it.

Not sure. It just started. I read a few forums and the consensus is that it is a sensor issue. How do I determine if it's the cpu sensor?

Just a guess but it's most likely the fault of that MSI board can you get a screen shot like I asked?

Yea, didn't see that request. Will do, if it can get to the desktop before cutting out.

I see so it's going that fast. What are you using for a cooler?

OK, seems to be intermittent. Maintaining 20-35C.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a Coolmaster 212, that's what it looks like.

Attachments

• 8150.png
    8150.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 33
What kind of cooler do you have and is it working. Looking at the temps they seem pretty high for the PC not doing anything. Both are hitting colse to 60°

tys.JPG

Swapping chips from a 8150 with 9590 will not solve the problem. If anything the 9590 will kill that MSI board as it's power demand is greater than the 8150. Hell a saberkitty has issues keeping up with a 9590 and that has robust power delivery system and better cooling.

I'm guessing it's the VRMs overheating. Can you reach on touch the large VRM heatsink left of the cpu socket and see how warm/hot it is?

If it's just a glich, I'd like to WC, did it years ago, but haven't had the need since all the games I run run on ultra anyway.

I just reinstalled W7 due to a black screen w/ only arrow, no desktop, issue. Same setup for a long time. Cooler works.
What kind of cooler do you have and is it working. Looking at the temps they seem pretty high for the PC not doing anything. Both are hitting colse to 60°

View attachment 181344

- - - Updated - - -

no OC

- - - Updated - - -

VRM just above room temp, not hot at all

I'm guessing it's the VRMs overheating. Can you reach on touch the large VRM heatsink left of the cpu socket and see how warm/hot it is?

- - - Updated - - -

Those max vals seem to be when desktop opened. current vals have been constant for 15 mins

I ran CoH and plotted the temps for 2 mins. The fan RPM soared.

Attachments

• 8150b.png
    8150b.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 35
It's still getting way too hot for stock settings IMO. Have you tried remounting and applying new paste to the cooler.

Yea, it never ran THIS hot. I'll redo the fan cpu paste and see what happens. Maybe even WC, tnx 4 the help

I am the dumb questions quy today ;):

What's the ambient temp?

You have a 1.44vCore on load. That's a lot for an Hyper 212 to keep up with.

Back