• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement PSU for Micro ATX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msknight

Registered
I bought this case - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064LCXEK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Nice for the money, but the PSU fan is way too loud. As all of my dealings have been with full ATX cases, I've never really dealt with micro cases before; this is my first encounter.

I've got issues with the Pico PSU system at the moment on another server, so as I'm not going that way for the moment, I thus need to source another MicroATX PSU - doesn't need to be very powerful, the normal draw is 60W, peak is about 100W.

The trick is this ... the PSU that came with it, is "indented" so that the right angled kettle lead sits, "inside" the space of the PSU itself. A lip then allows two screws to fix the PSU to the plastic case (the shadiest kind of fixing/assembly I've ever seen) and none of the ones that I've seen on the interwebs look like this.

Basically, to keep the width down, the external power goes in to a socket, and then a cable takes the power to the PSU itself, which is in the top/front of the machine. Clever design, but looks to be awkward to source a replacement PSU.

I'm hoping that someone can recognise the PSU type from what I've written, and can suggest a quieter replacement.

TIA for any help.

Hi AJ,

Many thanks for that list and the welcome to the forum. Much appreciated.

The Micro ATX supply I'm using has a strange lip and is indented, so that the body of the right angle kettle lead sits within the PSU's "space" if you know what I mean. I can't see that same kind of arrangement with the ones in the list.

The case has this wierd arangement where the kettle socket at the back, goes to a cable which snakes around the case and the PSU is actually located at the front of the case.

Last night, however, I got a replacement 120W Pico PSU and that is working well in an HP N40L. Silent and so far, holding its own running the board, extra graphics card, three 3Tb WD Greens and an Intel 40Gig SSD. If that continues to run without blowing up on me, then I'll probably go for one of those instead of the Micro ATX PSU.

Most of the units on that list are dubious at best and dangerous at worst.

The PicoPSU is an excellent choice, they're solid.

Back