• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Need Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobCochran

Registered
I'm looking to replace my Fractal Designs Define R5 Case. The inside of this case is very cramped. My concern right now is to squeeze in approximately four (4) classic 3.5" hard drives along with the Corsair H115i radiator and maybe a larger power supply than the OCZ 750 watt unit I'm using. The top grommets for passing wires to the rear of the case are actually pretty small and I can't get a fat 8 pin power connector through them, for example. My friend uses a lot of hard drives.

Is there a larger capacity case than the Define R5, which can comfortably hold radiators, fans, tubing, up to a 1200 watt power supply, and 4-6 hard drives plus 2 SSDs without things getting too cramped? I would prefer a white colored case over black.

One alternative for me is to have a machine shop cut a pretty big hole in the very exterior, tippity top of the Fractal case so that I can pass the waterblock and tubing for the Corsair H115 through it, and then bolt the radiator to the case top. I don't know. I lack the tools to do metal work myself. I would need a shop that can do it.

Thanks for any advice about a larger case than the Fractal.

Bob

I'm looking to replace my Fractal Designs Define R5 Case. The inside of this case is very cramped. My concern right now is to squeeze in approximately four (4) classic 3.5" hard drives along with the Corsair H115i radiator and maybe a larger power supply than the OCZ 750 watt unit I'm using. The top grommets for passing wires to the rear of the case are actually pretty small and I can't get a fat 8 pin power connector through them, for example. My friend uses a lot of hard drives.

Is there a larger capacity case than the Define R5, which can comfortably hold radiators, fans, tubing, up to a 1200 watt power supply, and 4-6 hard drives plus 2 SSDs without things getting too cramped? I would prefer a white colored case over black.

One alternative for me is to have a machine shop cut a pretty big hole in the very exterior, tippity top of the Fractal case so that I can pass the waterblock and tubing for the Corsair H115 through it, and then bolt the radiator to the case top. I don't know. I lack the tools to do metal work myself. I would need a shop that can do it.

Thanks for any advice about a larger case than the Fractal.

Bob

A cheep cone drill bit can make the hole bigger for you .

On the bigger hole if you know any electricians he probably has a knock out set that can make a nice clean hole in metal in a few seconds .

I think the case choices are down to either a Corsair Obsidian 900D or a Caselabs Magnum SMA8. I saw Blaylock's advice to someone in a different thread -- and in a differnt context -- to make a cardboard mockup and check the sizes of components that way. Since this new build is for a friend I had the bright idea of making a cardboard mockup to approximate (within a couple inches, anyhow) the exterior size of either of these cases. The friend has tried out the mockup and is okay with the size, at least.

Request: if you have done a build with the Corsair case, can you please post a photo of it for me to look over? Before I go ahead and order something, I mean.

Thanks!

Bob

new_case_mockup_small.jpg

Bob, checkout my Nostalgia 2.2 and 3.0 900D builds in my signature in red.

The 900D is a massive case and dependent what you put into it, can get very heavy. Lots of room for drives, let alone custom liquid cooling and still have room.

Phantek Enthoo Luxe?

You can put a 360/420 on top, plus a 140 on the back without sacrificing the HDD bays (plus there is 2.5" HDD/SSD behind the MoBo), plus 6 extra fans plugs).

My mind longs for the Caselabs Magnum, and after adding in the options I was interested in the cost went above $800. And up to 7 weeks build time, too. Indecision, indecision.

After some indecision, I opted for the Obsidian 900D. My friend is okay with the case, and I'm hoping that the money saved vs. a Caselabs case can be put to water cooling the friend's graphics card. I began working on the 900D last night. The goal: transfer the existing system from the Fractal case to the Corsair case. I'm stunned by how bad the Corsair case documentation is. Just a "Quick Start" guide which doesn't show you how to remove the case parts. I had to look for a video to find out how to release the top cover. And the optical drive bay is pop riveted in place so is not removable without a lot of messy drilling. That explains why GTXJackBauer left it there in his builds.

I am hoping to move the motherboard and the Corsair H115i radiator as one unit, without uninstalling the waterblock that is on the processor. We will see if I can do that. Supermicro, the motherboard vendor, says officially that it does not recommend removing the heat sink/waterblock from the processor, and I'm terrified of doing that myself. Well if I must then I must but I'd definitely rather not.

Another of life's little challenges: I need to learn how to remove the I/O shield on the Fractal case and move it to the Corsair case without damaging the motherboard or waterblock placement on the processor. Supermicro, your motherboard kits really should include two I/O shields for situations like this. It would lower stress on the poor system builder.

Bob

new_corsair_case_small.jpg

I think it was a right decision Bob. :thup:

As for the block and the I/O bracket, just remove them and reinstall them. No big deal. Just clean and reapply the TIM on the processor with the block once you've installed the radiator otherwise, you'll have issues moving the whole thing in place.

Thanks for responding so fast, GTXJackBauer! I was scared of removing the H115i's waterblock from the processor. I managed to move the motherboard and the AIO "as one" with the help of a large piece of scrap lumber. First I moved each case side-by-side. Then I put the wood scrap on top of the cases. Then I de-installed and moved the H115i radiator and fans onto the scrap wood like this (more comments follow in between each photo):

first_the_radiator_onto_board_small.jpg

Then I de-installed the motherboard and slid that onto the scrap wood too:

then_the_mobo_onto_board_small.jpg

Then I popped to I/O shield off the Fractal case and installed it in the new case. Then I slid the wood to the new case, and sort of propped the radiator inside the case while I secured the motherboard to the standoffs. It was a bit dicey as a way of doing it and I got lucky. I should have just taken the waterblock off the processor, and installed the radiator and motherboard separately just as you advised. Next time I'll have more courage and do it the right way.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Back