• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Req: Pics of eVGA ACS3 shroud for G80

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piotrr

eVGA sells "ACS3" versions of all 8800 series cards, 320 / 640 GTSs and GTXs, and reviews state that the cooling really is does appear to be improved. Yet the same reviews state that this ACS3 thing is "just" a plastic shroud on top of the same reference cooler that most 8800s use anyway.

So I'm thinking.. if it's really just a shroud, maybe it can be emulated* to bring better airflow or whatever? If anyone here owns an ACS3-equipped monstrosity of a G80, could you possibly... take it apart and show us what's really been altered?

Pretty please?

*Emulated = Ghetto style.

UglyChild said:
Its all the same. The shroud was extended to the back of the card to cover up the caps so it looks "cool".

And by looking cool, it drops the temps on the card!!

</sarcasm>

Not sure in which way you are being sarcastic or who it is directed towards, but the ACS3 really does seem to make a difference, at least according to websites which have reviewed it. Of course, you and me probably would setup our own ghetto cooling around the entire video card area, but I'm still interested in pictures (preferably partially deconstructed) of the shroud and how it's set up.

I don't think the shroud was really extended, I think a secondary, metal, shoud was placed on top of the old one, which is still round around the blower. The reason for this being that if you changed the shape of the blowers backplane, it's no longer a blower, but a machine for creating turbulence. :)

Inquirer and Anandtech measured lower than stock temperatures, guru3D measured higher, but that on the overclocked KO version.

piotrr said:
Not sure in which way you are being sarcastic or who it is directed towards, but the ACS3 really does seem to make a difference, at least according to websites which have reviewed it. Of course, you and me probably would setup our own ghetto cooling around the entire video card area, but I'm still interested in pictures (preferably partially deconstructed) of the shroud and how it's set up.

I don't think the shroud was really extended, I think a secondary, metal, shoud was placed on top of the old one, which is still round around the blower. The reason for this being that if you changed the shape of the blowers backplane, it's no longer a blower, but a machine for creating turbulence. :)

Lol, the sarcastic part:

thideras said:
And by looking cool, it drops the temps on the card!!

i wouldnt waste my money on the "cool" version

my regular old plain jane gtx oc's faster than any of the factory OC'd cards also

You know, I was hoping this forum was better than this.

You don't want to help, I get that, but I believe the shroud might do some good and I still want to see its construction in order to estimate whether there is anything to that suspicion. Making fun of my request is not beneficial to an amicable exchange of views, nor does it increase the propensity for me to help either of you out where you ever to make a request.

Rattle said:
i wouldnt waste my money on the "cool" version

I wouldn't either.

But I am to look at pictures of the shroud's construction to figure out whether it might actually have any theoretical benefits, which in turn might be possible to reproduce. If it's not, that's fine too, but I still would like to study the item before making the call.

there's a "plate" on underside of the card I believe which is a first for NV on the 8800's if that has any benefit I am not sure but the rest doesnt.

they probably just made the stock fan run at a higher duty cycle... most 8800gts's from EVGA come @ 60% duty cycle... they probably just flashed it to 75-80% duty cycle and put on a different shroud, and make 80 dollars more for the same card... quite genius i might add... but if i were u just get the base model of what ever ur looking at... not the superclocked or KO or ACS3 ones... because the base model like my evga 8800gts 640mb with stock clocks of 500/1600 ocs to 630/2000... which almost all 8800gts's top out at no matter what... pluss the stock cooling with stock thermal paste has done me quite well... temps never get over 65*C with the fan @ 60%

well its not just the same heatsink i think its just bigger shroud maybe longer heatsink with an added heatsink at the bottom

look
imageview.php

piotrr said:
You know, I was hoping this forum was better than this.

You don't want to help, I get that, but I believe the shroud might do some good and I still want to see its construction in order to estimate whether there is anything to that suspicion. Making fun of my request is not beneficial to an amicable exchange of views, nor does it increase the propensity for me to help either of you out where you ever to make a request.
I wouldn't make that assumption. Most people on this forum are ready to help anyone that needs it. I believe he forgot to put the </sarcasm> part in his post; I really doubt he was being serious.:p

I would not buy that version, I'd just drop my card in my loop...lower temps and easier for me.

lekyiscool said:
well its not just the same heatsink i think its just bigger shroud maybe longer heatsink with an added heatsink at the bottom

look
imageview.php

yes there is the "back" hs on it but it only touches at the 4 skrew points. but other than that the main hs is exactly the same... no longer, shorter, or different, becides the shroud that probably has the same exact normal shroud on the inside of it.

Section8 said:
EVGA also uses binned chips for the ACS3 cards :) I also prefer just to take my chances and OC the stock cards.

do they really bin the chips for the acs3's? didnt kno that... either way i havnt seen a bad clocking 8800... and they all clock around the same... my standard 8800gts clocks just as good as a factory ocd one..

EDIT! he he i was right... took a woppin 3min on google

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4216&s=16

I COULD see how this shroud would work better as it is aluminum, and they have a thermal pad between the fins and the shroud.

Last edited:
Back