• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Req: Pics of eVGA ACS3 shroud for G80

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thideras said:
I would not buy that version, I'd just drop my card in my loop...lower temps and easier for me.

I would not buy it either, but I am requesting images of it. I have already bought an 8800 GTS 640MB without the additional shroud, but as I know and understand that the ACS3 shroud is an add-on to the stock cooler which has shown some improvements in cooling, I am naturally interested in studying something like that in the hope that I may be able to emulate it and thus (easily?) improve the cooling efficiency on my stock video card.

You sure you want to add the video card to the loop? Wouldn't want warm water circulating on top of cooler items, do you? :) That's a whole other topic though.

nd4spdbh2 said:
ya but i dont see how i could really remove all that much heat.

Exactly. That's what I'd like to see, see if there's any visible reason for it, if there's anything to be learned from looking at the deconstructed shroud.

The difference hasn't been large in any of the relevant reviews, but it seems to me to actually result in a 3-4C difference, and a very small OC headroom as a result. I'm not sure. I'm not convinced. I'm not going to pay cash money for sheet aluminium attached to a plastic stock cooler. But I would like to analyse it.

piotrr said:
Exactly. That's what I'd like to see, see if there's any visible reason for it, if there's anything to be learned from looking at the deconstructed shroud.

The difference hasn't been large in any of the relevant reviews, but it seems to me to actually result in a 3-4C difference, and a very small OC headroom as a result. I'm not sure. I'm not convinced. I'm not going to pay cash money for sheet aluminium attached to a plastic stock cooler. But I would like to analyse it.

actually the whole shroud is aluminum... and 3-4*c would be about right... thats all i would expect different. but instead of paying 90 bucks more i would just buy a slot blower that blows air out the back of a slot right above the gfx card.

You mean below, and I already have that. I wonder if it could be connected to the hotspots somehow.

And for the third time, I'm not going to pay for the ACS3 shroud, I just want to see how it's built. :)

nd4spdbh2 said:
they probably just made the stock fan run at a higher duty cycle... most 8800gts's from EVGA come @ 60% duty cycle... they probably just flashed it to 75-80% duty cycle and put on a different shroud, and make 80 dollars more for the same card... quite genius i might add... but if i were u just get the base model of what ever ur looking at... not the superclocked or KO or ACS3 ones... because the base model like my evga 8800gts 640mb with stock clocks of 500/1600 ocs to 630/2000... which almost all 8800gts's top out at no matter what... pluss the stock cooling with stock thermal paste has done me quite well... temps never get over 65*C with the fan @ 60%

My ACS3 runs on the stock 59% fan speed and never runs hotter than 58c.
So no, they don't up the fan speed.

Back