• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Request recommendation for new purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome, Manu. I used to build for a living, so I have the basics on how to assemble, etc. Just worried about all the technical side of it now, compatibility, but Knufire solved that for me, it seems.:attn:

Was able to get all those items just under the price you had on your quote.

$1,168.98 or so. :thup: Now when it arrives, the real test of my abilities will begin.

Only thing that might be different is the SSD setup. When you first install Windows, make sure the SSD is the only thing plugged in. Also make sure it's plugged into a Intel port instead of one on a third party controller. Go into the BIOS, make sure SATA is in AHCI mode, then install Windows. After you install Windows, you can plug the HDD in.

Only thing that might be different is the SSD setup. When you first install Windows, make sure the SSD is the only thing plugged in. Also make sure it's plugged into a Intel port instead of one on a third party controller. Go into the BIOS, make sure SATA is in AHCI mode, then install Windows. After you install Windows, you can plug the HDD in.

Roger. So how does that work exactly? Windows installed on a SSD, don't they lose data when they lose power?

Also, what is a good cooling system to order with this set? Fans (push/pull setup?), water (necessary?)...

No, they don't loose data when powered off.

Good cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 140 $50

RAM loses data on power loss, since it's volatile memory. SSD is non-volatile. Think of them as giant superfast flash drives, since that's essentially what they are. xD

Water's more of a hobby than a necessity, but that I know is much easier than in the past, with all the premade PC specific parts now. The TRUE Spirit is an excellent performing heatsink for the price.

RAM loses data on power loss, since it's volatile memory. SSD is non-volatile. Think of them as giant superfast flash drives, since that's essentially what they are. xD

Water's more of a hobby than a necessity, but that I know is much easier than in the past, with all the premade PC specific parts now. The TRUE Spirit is an excellent performing heatsink for the price.

Roger, I knew RAM lost it, but I didn't know much about the SSD. Makes sense.

Okay. Installing windows now. Diggin the Z77 bios. Just out of curiosity, how hot do quad cores get?

Any other tips now that I'm up and running?

Well, got the 3570 with a Thermalright 140 on it.

Idle it seems to hover around 36 (C). Have the 140 plugged into the controller on the board, full on according to the mobo.

What temps should I start worrying about it? Especially if I plan on OC?

I'm gonna say 24ish (C) or 74 (F). I'm in FL, so we don't run the A/C full blast, but it's on the floor, too which may keep it cooler than that, just a tad.

Back