• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requesting beginner information about overclocking FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krissiman

Hello guys!

I just recently purchased a RX-580 for my gaming rig and I've been noticing that my FX-8350 can't seem to keep up with it in games like PUBG. I want try to overclock the FX-8350 but I don't really know anything about OCing. I have watercooling and my temps are pretty good. I don't really know anything but I'll post a pic with my specs below.

Specs.PNG

First thing we need to know is what Motherboard you are using. There's also a guide in my sig which should give you some insight on overclocking your FX CPU

And for cooling? These are the biggest determinung factors for the OC you might achieve.
Like I said have a read through that guide even if you don't understand everything it'll help familiarize you with the terms which will make things easier in the end.

If you have a decent water cooler you should be able to hit an easy 4.6Ghz without thermal throttling or heat issues on that mainboard.

If it looks good at 4.6 you could try edging up slowly to 5Ghz and see how the system responds. Whenever overclocking an FX chip it's always a good idea to place a fan over the VRM section of the mainboard, because the FX chips pull a lot of power and will stress your motherboard's power delivery system to the maximum. See picture (VRMs):
Capture_fastboot.png

Baby steps first, so start raising the CPU multiplier and adding a little core voltage incrementally, and then test for stability. Repeat until you have a reliable system that's stable for your purposes. I would recommend something aggressive like Prime to do your torture testing with, since you are a gamer.

I would recommend downloading CPUz and HWMonitor, both are good tools to see how your system ticks.

I would also recommend core temp for real time temp monitoring. It's free. Have fun!

Back