• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Researching to build new PC - looking for opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

Ok so I'm thinking of going with AM2 socket.

PSU: I'm not sure what to get here. I have heard PC P&C is good other than that I'm not all that familiar with PSUs. I think it would be better to have one of those that you can hook up only the cabling you need for a neater no clutter of unused cabling. I'm also going to assume it would be best to aim for over 500 watts. So advice on the PSU is much needed.

CPU: Possibly a dual core but may start with a single core and later upgrade when the price is more in my range. I'm not sure on if I will go sempron or athlon in the event I go for the upgrade later. If I go for the dual core to start I was thinking athlon.

Mobo: I've always had excellent experiences with abit ones. I have had like 5 or 6 different ones over the years and all worked flawless for me. I don't want to overlook the possibility of a better alternative. I'm also not sure what features to look for. I definately don't want to get something I'm going to find in less than two years I should have gotten such and such feature or better in a certain aspect. Onboard audio or video is not needed. Is nforce still the thing for chipsets? I'm told that I should be looking for one that supports DDR2 at like 1033 or something like that? I really haven't kept up with mobo stuff so I don't really know whats what for features and specs. Advice needed here as well.

RAM: Nice stuff with nice timings that will work well with future O/C. I don't want to spend an insane amount but I think I'd be willing to spend up to $200. I don't have to have 2GB to start but eventually I think it would probably be good to have that much. My current system has 1GB and I have seen no need for more. I assume its best to go with dual channel concept and run 2x512 for 1GB ranther than a single 1GB. I see two different things on this for the mobos, 2GB max and 8GB max in my browsing. Which DDR2 top get I'm not sure on I know the higher the type like DDR2 533 or 1033 and what not the better depending on what you do with the PC. I'm looking for ideas on this too I guess. Last time i was looking at ram corsair or OCZ was the brands of choice so if they are still the brands of choice I will probably want to go with them.

Video: At least the 7600GT although if by the time I am ready to build it the newest one (8800?) is more reasonable I may go with it. But the 7600GT will suffice for everything I play currently plus with a few titles I don't own yet that I may buy in the future.

Audio: eventually will put in a nice creative card. For now I have an audigy 2 ZS to use in it.

Case: I have a Thermaltake Xazer II 6000 case for my current PC although I am concidering the option of getting something different or even building my own if that is something worth doing.

Cooling: I am heavily concidering alternatives to fans. I'm really getting tired of so much noise from the need of several case fans plus the hs fan and the PSU fan combined makes for a significant amount of noise. In the past I thought if I went watercooling I'd end up shorting out my PC or something. Its probably an irrational fear like being afraid of crashing if you travel in an airplane.

Have I missed anything that I won't have to reuse from the current PC? Well have at it let me know what your thoughts are on what I should be looking at getting etc. Also at this time I haven't set a budget specifically but I was thinking about $800 maybe but thats not a definative max I'm willing to flex that if needed. I just want something that will be much better than I have now and will be viable 5 years or more after building it. I got about 5 years out of my last one with just a couple minor upgrades.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I will likely o/c later on but for now I'm just looking for a decent system to improve on my current one. I figure no sense in spending about $200-300 on a new cpu and vid card on a pc that other than the HDs nothing is transferable to a new pc. I can always add some things later and just go with the basic components to start. I probably won't do any o/c until the pc is a year or so old to give everything a chance to break in and such. Also it will be a couple months i think before i actually do the buying so prices will be lower on somethings. Although if there are some hot buys before then I may go ahead and buy some things early. I don't have the $800 yet to buy all or most in one shot. I was guestimating around $100-150 for the cpu, ~$150 for ram, ~$150 for mobo, ~$200 for vid card with about $200-300 extra for whatever. I built my current system just before XP came out I think and it cost be about $500 not counting the extra HDs added later.

Back