• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reservoir contamination question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I prefer distilled over tap water. That way you don't introduce minerals into your system. Distilled water is cheap. Usually around a buck a gallon. Cheap insurance.

You could use warm tap water and "dance" with it till its clear and than use distilled water or just use distilled.

Change of plans. I'm having some friends over tomorrow and we're turning it into a social thing. My other friend will need to do the same thing soon anyways so he'll get the learning experience from me. Thanks for all your help. I will will use distilled water for the "Radiator Dance". I've also heard to use 2/3 Distilled water and 1/3 White Vinegar and run it in the loop to clean it? Is that a good practice?

Last edited:
a distilled/vinegar mix can clean out some things... but if it dislodges bigger parts/flakes/stuff, they can damage your pump. Which is why the rad dance exists :) Only when its fairly "clean" you can run the mix through the loop for a while, then drain and run pure distilled, then drain again, pure distilled again, drain, ... etc .... Keep doing that till there is no more vinegar smell.

Beside the shake'n'bake, you should consider taking the pump out of the res (or at least take the impeller cover off) and have a good look at it, especially if it is an old XSPC 750 kit. They are now at rev 4 or 5 , but in one of the previous incarnations the impeller had a tendency to disintegrate, and it might be that what we're seeing here.

Here's my plan;

Run the vinegar mix once (25% Vinegar, 75% Hot Water)
Run distilled a couple more times until vinegar smell is gone
Disassemble loop
Rad dance (fill with hot tap water and shake like hell) first with hot a few times, then finish with distilled
Take apart reservoir and check pump for any contaminents
Double check rest of loop
Put back together
Run hot tap water a few times
Run distilled water
Drain/refill the distilled distilled water once more
Add Biocide Additive
Call it a day

Last edited:
I've already done the radiator dance once and it was slightly off colored. Right now its doing a 1 hour 25% vinegar run and the sediment has settled at the bottom again. I also cleaned out the inside of the reservoir. It looks to me that the sediment is just sitting at the bottom and not harming anything. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_20140526_134048.jpg
    IMG_20140526_134048.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20140526_134015.jpg
    IMG_20140526_134015.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 27
I ran distilled water through it about 3-4 more times and cleaned everything very thoroughly. I also did the Rad dance until the water was clear. Then I put it all back together and ran the loop with no leaks. Here are some pictures of how it is now. There is still some stuff there, but not nearly as bad as before. They just really didn't want to go. I included a picture of inside my reservoir while it was dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20140526_200606.jpg
    IMG_20140526_200606.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20140526_200555.jpg
    IMG_20140526_200555.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20140526_190430.jpg
    IMG_20140526_190430.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Back