• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reservoir / Radiator Outside Of PC Case - Options ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gusset Wrench

Hi,

I am a bit short of space in one of my PC cases and wondered what type of setups people are using to mount reservoirs and radiators outside of the case and feed the coolant in via tubing through grommets on the rear of the case?

Thx
Gus

Can you list what parts you are going to try and watercool. Depending on how much radiator you need your options will be different for mounting things. As for getting the tubing into the case You can either do a tubing pass through with grommets as you mentioned or you can mount some bulkhead fittings either in a add-on card slot or through some custom drilled holes. The advantage of the bulkhead fittings is that you can use quick disconnects so you can easily decouple the external system from the case to move it around or clean it.

Can you list what parts you are going to try and watercool. Depending on how much radiator you need your options will be different for mounting things. As for getting the tubing into the case You can either do a tubing pass through with grommets as you mentioned or you can mount some bulkhead fittings either in a add-on card slot or through some custom drilled holes. The advantage of the bulkhead fittings is that you can use quick disconnects so you can easily decouple the external system from the case to move it around or clean it.

Thank you for your reply.

Its a CPU and a GPU that will be in the loop. I was thinking of using a Nemesis 360GTX radiator externally with push/pull fans on it or just a single layer of fans if they will provide sufficient airflow. The radiator is 54mm thick and with a layer of fans it becomes difficult to locate it in the case so I thought it might be easier to locate it outside. I have several options for the pump/reservoir, I have a dual bay reservoir, an XSPC combi pump/reservoir and and possibly a combi D5/Photon 170 unit that I might be getting second user.

I had thought about cobbling up a metal cube type frame out of angle iron and driling it to provide fixing points for external components. However, it will probably look a mess when its done and I am sure there are tidier options. I like your suggestion of bulkhead fittings, they would make a nice touch to the external side of a loop.

Thx
Gus

Here is an example of some pre-made radiator stands, this is not all inclusive but gives you an idea.

Depending on how you want to mount your radiator either to your case or to your desk this is a pretty universal mounting kit.

One thing to think about with having fans external to the case is you may want to consider fan grills especially if you have small children or animals.

Last thing for now what model GPU/CPU are you planning to cool. I ask just to make sure that a 360 radiator will cool them properly.

Here is an example of some pre-made radiator stands, this is not all inclusive but gives you an idea.

Depending on how you want to mount your radiator either to your case or to your desk this is a pretty universal mounting kit.
One thing to think about with having fans external to the case is you may want to consider fan grills especially if you have small children or animals.
Last thing for now what model GPU/CPU are you planning to cool. I ask just to make sure that a 360 radiator will cool them properly.

Thank you for the links, those units look suitable for my purpose. The GPU will be a GTX 980 Ti under intensive load 24/7. The CPU will be a Sandybridge i5 or possibly i7 but the CPU will not be overclocked or under any great load at all, if fact I could probably use the stock intel fan on the CPU. I plan to setup the rig in the basement so it will be out of the way and it also means that the noise level is not a big factor.

Thx
Gus

Just an FYI if you are a do it yourselfer, I've used an old 120mm fan housing as a mount for an outside rad. Just cut the plastic braces that hold the fan and motor in place.

Back