• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reset cmos everytime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skoville

Registered
Well, nobody really knows, I'll try you guys.
Thia is absolutely maddening. I've had this happen with other boards. (still waiting for gigabyte return)

Won't boot unless I clear cmos and reset clock, which doesn't stay, you have to go to last known good, etc. New battery. Speedfan says vbat 1.71, pull batt. voltmeter says 3.7. The last time I had this I just kept plugging away and suddenly I had 4v. on vbat and all was good. I have yet to find a post anywhere that fixes this. Except one guy that just leaves his running always.

If I just stop computer, shut PSU off, hold start button, I don't have to pull batt. but have to reset clock and then F2.
Have removed video card to remove batt and cleaned. NG I think it's a bios thing but not sure.

if it's the rig in your sig, i don't see the fx-9590 supported, on a rev-1 board

Had to send GA-990FXA-UD5 back for repair. Using old stuff. Biostar TA790gxe 128M
AMD Phenom 2x4 940

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by a rev-1 board but the 990 FXA was a combo with the FX-9590. Have to have a 990 for the 9590.

Skoville, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but htat motherboard does NOT support the 9590. It's got a bad reputation with lower chips as well.

If possible, I would recommend you return the whole thing, and get a higher mobo and lower chip. Sounds asinine, but you can usually get a more stable, more reliable 4.7 from that setup than a 9590;

fhroaweighoargeahgeag

Gigabytes website needs updating then lol

but yes, the ud5 is unfortunately pretty infamously terrible. It SHOULD be good, but that doesnt seem to be the case with most users. BUT considering thats not the problem, lets skip that for now :)

A few dummy things to check (sorry, its just gotta ask to make sure is all)

1) bios up to date
2) memtest sat?
3) your CMOS jumper is in the normal position?

when my killer died, it did this EXACT same thing, I had to reset it, restart 800 times, get it going, then redo everything in the bios. Very likely that mobo is dying given your symptoms.

I think I'll have to wait for the Gigabyte to come back. (good bad or ugly) I actually got a " No possible update available" LOL Don't know about jumper. Haven't tried memtest. I should just for JP. Your probably right about MB. It is old and like I said, I should just bite the bullet until I get the other setup.
I did run an update but NG. If I can't boot I don't know if I can run memtest but I'll give it a go.

Skoville I've had the issues with the CMOS not resetting also, but it never lingered like yours is so I don't have much to offer as advice. However I believe this is what the other members are refering to with your Giga board.

This is what the Rev-1 boards were designed for. You can find the Rev number here on your board when you get it back. Wish I could help with your other issue.

EDIT: Your link shows Rev-3. Ensure that's what they sent you otherwise you're in for costly repairs.

ud5.PNG

ud5-rev1.png

Hi Blaylock. Yes I remembered it was rev-3 after I went to bed yesterday. Had to use a mirror and magnifier to see it. LOL Thanks for that, though.
I wrote Gigabyte and asked them to confirm the board
will work with the FX-9590. They had the unit since 12/22 so I'm not sure if I'll get a speedy reply. I purchased it in a combo deal at NewEgg so we will see.

Best of luck with the RMA. IF they've beefed up the VRM section ( I don't think they did though) it should be fine at stock, but I wouldn't try to OC at all.

fhroaweighoargeahgeag

Gigabytes website needs updating then lol

but yes, the ud5 is unfortunately pretty infamously terrible. It SHOULD be good, but that doesnt seem to be the case with most users. BUT considering thats not the problem, lets skip that for now :)

A few dummy things to check (sorry, its just gotta ask to make sure is all)

1) bios up to date
2) memtest sat?
3) your CMOS jumper is in the normal position?

when my killer died, it did this EXACT same thing, I had to reset it, restart 800 times, get it going, then redo everything in the bios. Very likely that mobo is dying given your symptoms.

This being the back I don't much care, at least it's usable. Seems like no matter how much I research I find this stuff out after I buy. LOL I may end up getting a Sabertooth and a lesser power monger CPU. The 9590 is a beech to cool.

Best of luck with the RMA. IF they've beefed up the VRM section ( I don't think they did though) it should be fine at stock, but I wouldn't try to OC at all.

One reason I got the 9590 was it being 4.7G instead of OCing. Using the on board automatic OC freaked me out when I went too far and all went weird. LOL (with this board)

The Giga website hints they changed the Mosfets in VRM section and moved from Utra-Durable 3 to Ultra-Durable 4, whatever that might be. The real problem for me is the way that Giga treated their customers when they moved from Rev 1.2 to Rev 3.0 in their 970 UD3 series and created a super pain for their users and finally released that 970 in Rev 4.0 which is some better. We do not see a lot of Giga AM3+ motherboards come in any of the AMD forum sections be it CPU or this MOBO section. There likely is a reason for that but not sure what it is.

A Noctua D-14 on top of an FX-9590 is likely to be cooling limited in stock mode. Do not mention overclocking since the FX-9590 has a default speed of 4.7Ghz and that has proven to be pretty close to the upper limit for air cooling.

But we are speculating about a motherboard that has already left the OP for RMA anyway. His post is about an old interim motherboard that seems to have failed in some manner like his UD5 failed and is need of repair or wait to use computer until the RMA'd UD5 returns.
RGone...ster.

just get the sabertooth and run it with a mild overclock or spend the big bucks and go big water.

It will be interesting what Gigabyte will do. At least they emailed the repair started yesterday. They had it since 12/22. Must really be backed up. So much for their 5 day turnaround.

I have had this exact same problem before.

I think my problem was with an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, if I remember correctly. In my case I found out that the BIOS chip was bad, and once I physically replaced the bios chip with a new one it was fine.

I had to clear the bios every time before I booted up in order to get it to POST successfully, prior to replacing the chip (nice thing about socketed bios chips (not soldered down), they're easy to replace).

Biostar TA790gxe 128M is supposed to have a more readily replaceable bios chip.

Page about bios chip removal.

Any number of sites have bios chips for sale. I have used these people but I see their prices are a little higher than some other places.

This post just because of what Tech Tweaker said.
RGone...ster.

ah o

Just checked gigabyte rma status.

Phyiscal Damage/Unrepairable; Warranty Voided

I know I broke a memory tab, are they that pimpy? Doesn't say what the damage is. On to Sabertooth, I guess.

Any opinions on the ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ?
Once again the more I read the worse it sounds. Beside the price, no wifi?

Last edited:
Sabertooth over EXT 9 because we have about 20 times the number of well qualified overclockers that are familiar with the Sabertooth. That is a whole lot of not RE-inventing the wheel.

I have the precusor to the EXT 9 and like it. It overclocks fine with the same cpus I use in my CHV boards. But there is not a lot of reason for me to ask about the bios in the forums here since there is hardly anyone with the same board and thus no first hand knowledge.

About as straight as it gets and the choice of course is yours and your monies. No matter your choice; cooling is going to be your hold-up is my honest guess.
RGone...ster.

Back