• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Resolved) NewEgg - Gift Card purchase leads to Account Suspensions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While it stinks, I am not gonna pull a "omg im dumping newegg all of the sudden" stunt.

I've had 100 smooth orders before I didnt. And I'm sure many others have as well.

Same here. I think some folks are jumping on the "Hate NewEgg" bandwagon lately, for no particular reason. Then again, maybe NewEgg isn't offering customers compelling reasons to stay.

It's not so much the screw-ups but the response to the screw-ups. Mistakes and errors in business are inevitable, but the response to those situations speaks volumes about how much a company values its customers.

Same here. I think some folks are jumping on the "Hate NewEgg" bandwagon lately, for no particular reason. Then again, maybe NewEgg isn't offering customers compelling reasons to stay.

It's not so much the screw-ups but the response to the screw-ups. Mistakes and errors in business are inevitable, but the response to those situations speaks volumes about how much a company values its customers.

I agree about the bandwagon thing.

And screwed up responses are also inevitable.

What I dont understand are people who are loyal to businesses for years and then they have 1 issue and they "never shop or go there again" as if you're going experience the same crap every single time, despite the fact you didnt the first 100 times you bought sometime/used a service.

You kind of people must have terrible relationships with other people.

The thing is they kept changing their story and finally came up with the idea that the GC was voided and the money refunded on the same day it was purchased. But it took them approx an entire month of phone calls, emails and live chats to figure this out. The big problem with this story is: The GC was voided alright...but...the money was NEVER refunded. Aaron had to go through his bank and do a charge back.

That's the part that puzzles me. I never initiated the void on the Gift Card; as far as I know, once a GC is purchased, there's nothing the purchaser can do to "cancel" it. How that GC got flagged as voided was never explained by the NewEgg rep, nor was the phantom refund (supposedly issued on 7/28, the same day of the GC purchase). I never received an email regarding either the void or the "refund".

That's the part that really bothered me: the lack of clear, up-front communication on the matter from NewEgg.

I'm glad to hear that your account is back in good standing, Jim. I fired off an email to NewEgg representative Alex yesterday, so we'll see where that leads for me.

Dear aaronjb,

Thanks for taking the time to post your informative review. We greatly apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact Alex at [email protected] or at 800-390-1119 ( dial 25040 immediately ) for further assistance in this matter.

Thank you.

That's exactly who I sent an e-mail to yesterday over at Newegg, what a small world :beer:

Yeah, what a coincidence. :)

Haven't heard back from Alex, but I just emailed yesterday.

wow man this sucks,

good luck aaronjb and jimmsch

nobody deserves this, if newegg made this mistake and rectified it like it should instead of this it would've saved alot of people lots of headaches

While it stinks, I am not gonna pull a "omg im dumping newegg all of the sudden" stunt.

I've had 100 smooth orders before I didnt. And I'm sure many others have as well.

While I don't doubt that screwups do happen, I think its rather pathetic that people would declare jumping ship so quickly. If you did that for every bad story you heard, you would never buy anything, wear anything, trust anyone. have children or even leave your house.

Wake up people...

AMEN!!

PREACH IT!!!

:beer:

It's not how the mistake happened. To me, it's how it is fixed.

A month.. wow what a failure on any reasonable scale. Get the customer to fix the issue? Strike two. I could keep going on what I read so far.

Two members on a forum who stood by each other and had trust. Guess it was both of them that finally got it fixed. Sort of at least. Newegg.com has to chime in still and make both of them happy. Per what they have preached over the years. Out of three parties in this. One is not doing so well.

Yes, how this is totaled out, will effect how I think of that store. It already has to a degree. That part I mentioned up top of my post about fixing things is the final part.

If Jim had that level of trust over a month being out that money. Why shouldn't I? Having that much in limbo is no joke. Kudos for our two members for working together. Aaron was working his butt off trying to fulfill his end of a deal.
:thup:

That's the part that puzzles me. I never initiated the void on the Gift Card; as far as I know, once a GC is purchased, there's nothing the purchaser can do to "cancel" it. How that GC got flagged as voided was never explained by the NewEgg rep, nor was the phantom refund (supposedly issued on 7/28, the same day of the GC purchase). I never received an email regarding either the void or the "refund".

That's the part that really bothered me: the lack of clear, up-front communication on the matter from NewEgg.

This is what has me following the story. So far I've had flawless Newegg purchases and even a few warranty exchanges/RMAs. But if they can't seem to handle issues as they come up, forget them. I don't want it to be me next time. Although Newegg is one of the best on the web, they're not the only vendor with good prices and fast shipping. If they don't watch their step they'll end up sinking as quickly as they rose to the surface.

Sounds to me like someone messed up and the issue got lost somewhere in the company, obviously due to incompetence ;) The tiny details of what one or more people do or fail to do can have severe consequences for the company's reputation ;)

Alex has a phone number you know.....

:rolleyes: As do I, you know.

I've sat through enough NewEgg hold music during this ordeal, thanks.

I appreciate the fact that you're a NewEgg apologist, general curmudgeon, or playing devil's advocate, but at this point I'd say it's up to NewEgg to proactively rectify this situation.

Aaron you do have to give the rep a little time on the weekday to trace what went wrong. As it stands, there is three parties in this. So it might take a little bit. I do expect them to at least kiss your butt with a status report. Oh wait, that is common courtesy. You did not pay for a service so you can do the work.

Aaron you do have to give the rep a little time on the weekday to trace what went wrong. As it stands, there is three parties in this. So it might take a little bit. I do expect them to at least kiss your butt with a status report. Oh wait, that is common courtesy. You did not pay for a service so you can do the work.

You're probably correct, I suppose I should give NewEgg a few days to bounce this around internally.

Let's hope they do not just go the route of. He has his money so it is fixed thing. Ignoring you and hoping you lose interest.

I do expect you to come back and say all is good. Lets see if the egg gives you that power to do so. The ball is in their court right now. Since they have built a solid rep, it is up to them to keep it. Not a customer on thier behalf, who happens to like that retailer.

Alex phoned me this afternoon, we played phone tag for a bit, but finally got in touch.

I can say that this was resolved amicably and fairly by NewEgg in the end. Both accounts are unlocked, and I was offered a discount on a future purchase (I hope the same courtesy is extended to Jim as well).

Alex sounded genuine in his apology and his concern, particularly when I reiterated that better communication in the first place would likely have avoided the issues that Jim and I experienced initially. Alex indicated that he spoke with the NewEgg employees who handled the issue in August, and I'm satisfied that the message about proper communication was passed on. Again, businesses have issues, but it's how problems are dealt with that speak the most about a company.

Summary: The initial problem was an unnecessary mess, but NewEgg has responded in a manner that indicates they're willing to address issues seriously. To reinstate an account after a customer has performed a chargeback is no small matter, so take that into account when gauging the resolution of this issue.

My thanks to Alex for contacting me, and my appreciation to SSS and muddockter for giving NewEgg a little nudge in the right direction.

Back