• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retrieving a case temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

So I'm looking at my temperatures in HWMonitor+ (the trial version). I recently dropped my voltage down to 1.3v from 1.4v (stable @ stock clocks). My CPU cores are now reporting 33-34C~, while my "SYSTIN" shows 38C. This leads me to believe that's not meant to show a case temperature. My HDD is reporting 28C temperatures, but they never change (even under use).

So is there any way besides getting a thermometer?

Not case temp. Some odd mobo temp, I'd disreguard it completely.

A case temp to me is the exausting air temp.

And nope. Mobo makers never ever have came up with a standard, much less telling us where the temp probes are or even thinking of putting accurate ones in.

It's the Wild West buddy!

HD temps WILL change from the second they are turned on till about 20 minutes later, they stabilize.

I don't think I've ever seen a temperature different than 28C, even after a cold boot.

Actually Conum, I used to have a few Abit boards back in their heyday where the manual actually showed where they had hw temp monitors located on the mobo. But the accuracy thing was still a crapshoot and I haven't seen anything like that in several years. IIRC, my old IC7 Max II Advance board showed the monitor probe locations and maybe even my NF7-S board too.

Actually Conum, I used to have a few Abit boards back in their heyday where the manual actually showed where they had hw temp monitors located on the mobo. But the accuracy thing was still a crapshoot and I haven't seen anything like that in several years. IIRC, my old IC7 Max II Advance board showed the monitor probe locations and maybe even my NF7-S board too.

That doesn't mean they have to, though.

There's really no need to see motherboard temperature anyways (maybe except northbridge, but that doesn't exist as a discrete chip anymore). Nothing else on the motherboard heats up so much that temperature could become a problem.

Even if something is burning to touch (but doesn't actually burn your skin), that's still only about 60C, which is still very low for electronics.

Back