• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review my new build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Torched

Registered
I'm planning to use this build to do heavy graphic editing and no gaming.

2 Major concerns:
- 2 or 4GB of ram.
- Case Cooling.

I'm also am planning to overclock the cpu, saw these things OCing to 4ghz like nothing.

CPU: Intel E8400 - (215.80)
PSU: Corsair 520W - (80.00)
MOBO: Abit IP35-E - (89.99 - 30.00)
RAM: Gskill 2GB(1GBx2) - (46.99)
RAM (Option #2): Gskill 4Gb (2gb*2) - (84.99)
GFX Card: PNY VERTO 8500GT 512MB PCIE VIDADPT
or something from Gateway since I have a 100$ credit from awhile back (Hopefully they still will honor). I don't game, so I just need something to render my desktop.
Case: I was hoping I could use an old gateway pc case, that had the ATX form factor inside. The only thing I am worried about is the cooling I think their is only once fan inside. Though it might be more practical to get a new case, I was digging the coolmaster stacker though wasn't digging the price tag or maybe I can modify the case.
CPU cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU Cooler for AMD AM2, Intel LGA775
Hard Disks: 3 Sata drives.

I'm planning to buy soon/tomorrow if all goes well. Thanks.

Make sure the heatsink will fit inside of the case you plan to use. It's specs are: 63.44 x 132.00 x 160.50mm according to Newegg which is pretty large and requires a sizable case. Also don't forget a copy of XP/vista/whatever.

Definatly get a new case. You don't want to have a nice new system burning up in a stuffy low air flow case. You can pick up a Cooler Master 690 for ~30 AR. I also highly recommend going with 4GB's if your going with vista. It really makes a difference.

The best card on that list around that price range would be the Jaton 8600GT. I would do some research on the brand as I have never heard of them before.

I don't know what the chances of you using HD stuff with your computer are, but if you ever thing it will happen get a budget 3xxx series card.

I don't know much about it yet, but the 3450 found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102724&Tpk=3450

Should meet all of your needs for $50 and has the options of using HDCP devices with the card.

I know some of the 8xxx series cards do as well, I just don't know as much about them.

Because you're a big graphic editor, I suggest you go with quad core. You don't need the power from the e8400. In this case, it's quantity > power.

Back