• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Richland, Kaveri, Kabini & Temash; AMD’s 2013 APU Lineup Examined

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ni-temash-amd-s-2013-apu-lineup-examined.html

Looks like we will be getting 2 new APU's this year, Richland; 'another Piledriver core APU' and then kabini, that's the Steamroller core (28nm) and will incorporate GCN GPU Stream Processors for the first time.

If Trinity and Piledriver was anything to go by the Steamroller core FX chip should come in soon after.

Temash (mobile Steamroller) Tablets already demonstrated. http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3848868/amd-temash-hands-on-windows-gaming-on-a-1080p-tablet

The real upgrade will come with Kaveri, 28nm and GCN iGPU.

Temash (the second link) is that 28nm GCN APU, for Tablets.

Youtube of that second link game being played

This is at 1920 x 1080P, while the FPS might not be great 'as canucks say' its striking to think that this is never the less a modern game being playable powered at 1080P by Tablet chip. Whats that? 15 Watts?

Forget about Angry Birds, get Steam installed on it and away you go...

I know many people will yawn at the Tablet chip, as impressive as it is, but just think this is what is scaled down from the LapTop version of that chip, never mind the Desktop version.

2013 and going in to 2014, i have a feeling, is going to be a great year for AMD :)

Desktop cpu performance will be told though when they actually are available. I can wait. FX-8350 PD is taking care of business very well for me at this time after dumping the FX-8120.
RGone...

Sounds like good news for AMD hope they pull it off. :thup:
Last I read steamroller FX chips won't be available till mid to late 2014. :bump:

Desktop cpu performance will be told though when they actually are available. I can wait. FX-8350 PD is taking care of business very well for me at this time after dumping the FX-8120.
RGone...

Steamroller is the last of this modular architecture in the roadmap given that they have cancelled Excavator, don't know what AMD are doing after that.

Steamrooler will have benefits from a 13% process shrink, (32nm to 28nm)

But interestingly, Temash (The Verge and Youtube links) is a second or third generation Bobcat core, (Jaguar) which already had much better IPC and power efficiency relative to Bulldozer, it was actually better performance ways than Intel's rival 'Atom', as you can see in the Jaguar link its just got a 15% IPC boost.

You have to wonder why are we not getting up scaled Bobcat cores for our Desktop's?
Maybe they are coming? :D

In Anycase, the Desktop parts, Richland (32nm) looks like a Trinity refresh; release date probably pretty imminent.
And Kaveri (28nm) looks like Steamrooler with GCN iGPU, end of the year, probably.

Back