• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rig all but complete!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

James87

Registered
Hello all, Im 99% done deciding what to put into my new computer apart from the heatsink/Fan!

This is my rig that i will be building when i find out what cooler to get. Few things that might help, dont have AC in my room so want something that will help keep my CPU cooler. Limit is around $90

Can only buy what is listed in these two shops
http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/10/46
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_23_845

Also was thinking of removing the stock fans from either "Noctua NH-U12P SE2" or "NZXT Havik 140 CPU Cooler" and adding 1 or 2 Scythe 120mm Ultra Kaze 3000rpm Fan Then i would add GELID PWM Y-Cable(If i read/understood things correctly, will reduce the sound when the fans aren't needed) Is that correct??

Have read that when the NZXT Havik 140 is running both stock fans it makes a strange sound.

CPU:Intel Core i5 2500K
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver® 5
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
Memory:Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Hard Disk(SSD):Corsair Force Series 3 60GB
Hard Disk #2:Samsung 2TB Spinpoint F4 Eco Green
Hard Disk #3:Samsung 2TB Spinpoint F4 Eco Green
Case:Silverstone Raven RV03 with Window
Optical Drive:Samsung SH-B123L
Power Supply:Seasonic - X-650
Graphics:MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III PE/OC

Thanks again!

Hello all, Im 99% done deciding what to put into my new computer apart from the heatsink/Fan!

This is my rig that i will be building when i find out what cooler to get. Few things that might help, dont have AC in my room so want something that will help keep my CPU cooler. Limit is around $90

Can only buy what is listed in these two shops
http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/10/46
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_23_845

Also was thinking of removing the stock fans from either "Noctua NH-U12P SE2" or "NZXT Havik 140 CPU Cooler" and adding 1 or 2 Scythe 120mm Ultra Kaze 3000rpm Fan Then i would add GELID PWM Y-Cable(If i read/understood things correctly, will reduce the sound when the fans aren't needed) Is that correct??

Have read that when the NZXT Havik 140 is running both stock fans it makes a strange sound.

CPU:Intel Core i5 2500K
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver® 5
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
Memory:Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Hard Disk(SSD):Corsair Force Series 3 60GB
Hard Disk #2:Samsung 2TB Spinpoint F4 Eco Green
Hard Disk #3:Samsung 2TB Spinpoint F4 Eco Green
Case:Silverstone Raven RV03 with Window
Optical Drive:Samsung SH-B123L
Power Supply:Seasonic - X-650
Graphics:MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III PE/OC

Thanks again!

James,

Looks like you did your homework!

I would asemble your system first before you change anything. What's uncomfortable to one may not be uncomfortable to you. Nice rig.

Agreed, your rig looks great. I would build it and see what happens, as already stated.

However, on the other hand, I wouldn't build a rig without some kind of aftermarket cooling right off the bat... I would never resort to using the stock Intel HSF's.
Of those two heatsinks you listed in your original post, I would choose the Noctua NH-U12P. Replacing the fans is also a great idea, and replacing them with PWM fans is an even better idea! Those Scythe Ultra Kaze's are awesome fans and will do great on your cooler. :thup:

As for splitting the two fans to one single port, you'd need that connector. Yes. I do not think your motherboard has two PWM fan headers, I think it only has the single PWM fan header for the CPU fan.

Benn,

Thanks for the cooling recommendation for James, I'm just not qualified to state which is better.

RT

Not a problem. I personally have experience with a few Noctua products. A good friend of mine has that same NH-U12P and he loves it. I even got to test drive it and it faired very well. I was very impressed.

I don't know a ton about the NZXT cooler, so I can't state for which one is better. Hopefully someone has experience with both and can chime in and say which outperforms the other. But, here is an Overclockers.com review of the NZXT heatsink. :)

Thanks ben, Would having 2 of the Ultra Kaze fans be over kill??.

Edit: With the price that i would be spending on the heatsinks and adding 2 extra fans i could get a Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler....

WHY is this so hard :(

Last edited:
With the Silver Arrow you'd also be adding some nice PWM fans as well ;)

You can't go wrong with Thermalright or Noctua in terms of air-coolers. I have the VenomousX and absolutely love it.

With the Silver Arrow you'd also be adding some nice PWM fans as well ;)

You can't go wrong with Thermalright or Noctua in terms of air-coolers. I have the VenomousX and absolutely love it.

It's a shame that pccasegear no longer have the MUX in stock as it's a great cooler, but the silver arrow looks like the best option IMO :)

Last edited:
im now reconsidering the GFX card. The Bf3 specs came out today.

Graphics card: DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB ram (Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950)

other than BF3 i dont think i will be gaming much. Should i drop my card down to a 560 or a 6950? Maybe get a 2gb card .

560 is recommended? Meaning okay frame rates? Get a step above that then. 570 and a second for SLI when you need it 2012, or a 590.

Plan ahead, Who knows what 2012 will bring.............

tbh i would go for the FRIO, only because its a great cooler has a huge compatability listing and great reviews.

alternitvley the V6GT looks awesome, and has exellent cooling ability, but it all comes down to personal preference :shrug:

in regards to your vid card, if you wanted to save some cash it comes down to preference (ATI/AMD or Nvidia eyefinity or not etc.).

something along the lines of a 6950 or 560ti would be good choices, and should be able to achieve high/max settings on most things you can trow at it, and down the road can always add another one :attn:

FRIO wont fit into my case :\.
IDK about the v6gt, doesnt seem as good as teh others i have mentioned.

What specs should i really be looking at when it comes down to GFX cards?

Back