• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RE: buying advice for gaming pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OEMPlus

RE: buying advice for gaming pc

Hello guys, im posting this out i am eyeing a couple of "gaming rigs" out there and i am just wondering what your inputs on these systems may be,i am a car junkie and have no idea whats good when it comes to computers. Please help me out. If one platform looks great and only needs a solid video card that is something i can deal with. Thanks.

Rig #1
The system specs are as follows:
CPU: intel i5-2500k processor over-clocked to a stable 4.3 gigahertz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 RAM
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Hard drive (I can leave some games on there if you'd like)
PSU: Corsair TX750M Power supply
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred Gaming Case
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H-B3 Ultra Durable Motherboard
Fans: 1 blue LED overhead fan, 6 fans total, never goes over 60 deg. C
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 MSU

Rig #2
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition processor. 3.2 GHz
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM 4x 4gb Ram sticks
Hitachi Deskstar 3 Terabyte SATA Hard drive
Corsair Hydro H50 Liquid cooling system
Asus Republic of Gamers Formula IV gaming motherboard with USB 3.0 support, HD audio, quick power on button, overclock button.
XFX Radeon 5770 HD graphics card capable of crossfire x configuration and capable of a multiple display set up
Sony Optiarc DVDRW Drive
Thermaltake Toughpower 775w Power supply
Linksys Network adapter
Thermaltake A60 gaming Mid-tower case with USB 3.0 support and two blue LED fans 160mm in the front and 80 mm in top

Rig #3
AMD Phenom II quad core 3.2ghz over clocked to 3.8ghz
8Gb Ram
64Gb SSD
500Gb Western Digital Caviar Green
Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler
Asus M4A79XTD Motherboad
Dvd Burner
XFX HD 6850 Graphics Card
genuine windows professional cds included

Any input would be greatly appreciated, i am n00b. Haha. :bang head

personally, id go for rig number 1, but you havent included prices, so that would maybe be more helpful in use giving you help, as depending on your budget, you could probably build one cheap, more to your own needs

I also vote for #1, I do have a question though. In two of the builds the GPU you chose is 3 generations old, including the 480gtx. Any particular reason you are doing that?

I also vote for #1, I do have a question though. In two of the builds the GPU you chose is 3 generations old, including the 480gtx. Any particular reason you are doing that?

I think those are older already built systems he is looking to purchase.

yea go with the intel system #1.
i just sold my wife's old Phenom II X4 955 system and man that thing was slow.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I stayed up all night reading the "faq on how to build your own pc" and i might actually take the risk of building one myself. I am a little bit puzzled tho, most of you guys recommend #1 but #2 has more ram and liquid cooling i though you could always do more on liquid and gaming is better with more ram.. Sorry for the n00b posts.

Normally I'd be all for building it yourself...but if you can buy system #1 for $700, that's a killer deal.

Normally I'd be all for building it yourself...but if you can buy system #1 for $700, that's a killer deal.
+1

The I5-2500k is a really good cpu. I have one on another Pc and it beats up on my 955BE pretty bad.

most of you guys recommend #1 but #2 has more ram and liquid cooling i though you could always do more on liquid and gaming is better with more ram

First,I would bet that the differences in temps between a Corsair H50 and the NZXT Havik 140 would be marginal.

16gig of Ram is pretty much overkill for most people. I'm a pretty big gamer and have 8 gigs, I don't think I've ever come close to maxing it out.

16gig of Ram is pretty much overkill for most people. I'm a pretty big gamer and have 8 gigs, I don't think I've ever come close to maxing it out.

Yeah I bought 16GB of RAM to use in two systems, but I only have one built right now so I just put all 4 sticks in my main rig.

Back