• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Right Cooling system for my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The koch

What do you guys recommend for cooling for my proposed system? I plan on mildly overclocking it 3.8~4.0 GHz. I assume any bought liquid cooling system (such as Corsair H70) is not worth it?? Or what do ya'll recommend for fans/LC?

-Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($90)

- MSI Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x1 ($140)

- G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) ($60)

- AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor ($160)
-other parts yet to be spec'd

appreciate it

So just the fans are fine? No liquid cooling necessary? I got plenty of free time :)

If you want to do cooling, and went with the corsair stuff, I wouldn't get anything less than the H100 IMO. It is $115 dollars though, and that Fan cooler is $30 dollars. It's going to come down to how extreme you want to go.

Appreciate the input. I'll build the system as is and overclock to see how hot it gets, then determine if additional cooling is needed.

115 seems pricey, and a more homemade solution sounds fun.

Yep, look up the XSPC , Swiftech, and EK real watercooling kits. They are far better and much more reliable than the brekage prone Corsair kits. They can cost a lot more and you have to build it.

Back